autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: at what point in your detail do you wash your wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    How do you guys clean your wheel wells? There is not enought room for a brush unless I jacked the car up for more room. And spraying water at the dirt doesnt seem to do anything to it.
    I have yet to see a wheel well that you couldn't fit some kind of brush into. If no other will fit, the Daytona will. But, on 90% or better of vehicles, I use one of these:
    Mothers Fender Well Brush cleans wheel wells beneath the car's fenders. Fender Well Brush has a long handle to scrub behind wheels and tires.

As to the original question, it depends on the vehicle.
    I always start with wheel wells (APC+) and tires (either OPC or Bleche-White).
    If the wheels are nasty and require a cleaner, they are next. If the wheels are maintained (especially my personal vehicles) then I save them for last and use the remaining soap/water from my wash bucket.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like
    Huge issue with spraying tire shine or gel on before polishing. Do you get dust ever while polishing or cutting? I made a big no no working on a porsche 911 sprayed using the new turtle wax tire shine that's a sort of clear coat that lasts months and it does I use it on my DD. anyhow dust imbedded in all parts of the tire That had the spray it dried and was almost impossible to remove !!!! I guess with any other dressing you "could" just rub it off but still extra work for nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by habeba86 View Post
    I clean the wheels/tires/fender wells first with megs apc + and a few brushes.
    Ditto on this quote and double ditto on the APC.. Let the product work for you.. Once you go APC, you will never go back. It's as important as the wash in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: at what point in your detail do you wash your wheels?

I like to do the tires/wheels/wheelwells first and then wash the car, point being while washing the car all the soap is going to run down there again anyways. This way you end up going over that area twice. Then when you dry off the car and then the tires and wheels, you apply the tire dressing and hit the wheelwells while the driveway area is wet and you can then move the car and rinse down the residue from all that
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capa1970 View Post
    I would love to be adopted into this family and have free stuff sent my way
    I would love it even more if one of you did a comparison with Brown Royal, Sonax, Griot's HD, etc!!!

To the OP: I wash my car first and then do the wheels and then start polishing, waxing, etc.
    This sounds soooo up Corey's alley! I will send him some Sonax if he needs!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Capa/Dad! I do indeed have some of that high $ Sonax on my hands! I bought into the hype and paid all that dough for like 16 oz or whatever it is to try it. Definitely have enough left for a comparison writeup. Please remind me if I don't get it posted within 4 weeks!!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    How do you guys clean your wheel wells? There is not enought room for a brush unless I jacked the car up for more room. And spraying water at the dirt doesnt seem to do anything to it.
    Brushes usually wont remove all the dirt because there is too much space between the bristles. However if you wrap an old mf towel around the brush and tie it, this will finish them off. Once most nasty is off you can even wrap a towel around your hand and arm and use some UWWP to lubricate the towel. Then just reach your entire arm up in there. I use a combo of brushes on most cars.

On my Sky every so often I used to jack it up just enough to get some space to make it easier. Then I coated it with Ultima Trim & Tire Guard. After that spraying it off with my hose for the next few months would get it clean.

Of course my Sky doesn't see much heavy mud driving... Lol

Here's a video of PP on the wells I posted awhile back on L2D. I think they are similar results as what I was seeing with my UTTG but it's much easier to apply on this particular area. Unfortunately the cost is outrageous.

Here are a couple cool videos I recorded a couple months ago. I hadn’t had the chance to make a movie and post it until now.

Oh, one other thing- This is still video from my old camera but my new software I bought for Christmas and am currently learning was used to make the movie.

Video: Wheel wells – The audio tells the story

Here is another video. I had lots of fun with my new software. Man, I love this stuff on my calipers and all over those wheels! I think it makes them glow too. LOL

Video: Wheels

Last edited by CEE DOG; 04-16-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Capa/Dad! I do indeed have some of that high $ Sonax on my hands! I bought into the hype and paid all that dough for like 16 oz or whatever it is to try it. Definitely have enough left for a comparison writeup. Please remind me if I don't get it posted within 4 weeks!!
    Please (!!!) do a comparison and I'll try to convince dad to send you some more goodies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capa1970 View Post
    Please (!!!) do a comparison and I'll try to convince dad to send you some more goodies
    LOL!! Please dont! He has been too kind! I would love to and seriously if I don't have it up in a few weeks pm me and remind me!! I will get it done now that I said I will. Just don't let me forget since I can't get to it the next 2-3 weeks. I'm looking forward to this one! Great idea

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post

LOL!! Please dont! He has been too kind! I would love to and seriously if I don't have it up in a few weeks pm me and remind me!! I will get it done now that I said I will. Just don't let me forget since I can't get to it the next 2-3 weeks. I'm looking forward to this one! Great idea
    Dont expect Dad to remember sh*t! I havent given you much compared to what I get from our friendship!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast