autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

simple green with clay bar?

Hey guys,

Well i was unfortunate enough to get a bunch of overspray on my truck and front windshield parked somewhere. not sure what happened, but either way i have to clay my truck and windshield. a paint shop guy told me to use simple green as the lubricant as i clay my truck as it helps breaks down the overspray much better without harming paint. I feel uneasy about it as im not knowledgeable on it. figured id ask you guys.

normally i just use a quick detailer. any other tips?

thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: simple green with clay bar?

That is an interesting idea. I have never done it before and if I were to try it I would use an APC that I know is safe such as OPC. Maybe throw some ONR in with it for some extra glide? If you try it let me know. I dont have a lease turn in with overspray where I could try it on right now or I would let it be the test subject.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do it but that's just me. If you ever get bored, try Stoner's Tarminator as the clay lubricant...
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    That is an interesting idea. I have never done it before and if I were to try it I would use an APC that I know is safe such as OPC. Maybe throw some ONR in with it for some extra glide? If you try it let me know. I dont have a lease turn in with overspray where I could try it on right now or I would let it be the test subject.
    I really wanna follow what ur saying and ive read it over 5 times...but i have no idea what those abbreviations mean lol. im lost lol.

if u can explain what u said id appreciate it so i can try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumair View Post
    I really wanna follow what ur saying and ive read it over 5 times...but i have no idea what those abbreviations mean lol. im lost lol.

if u can explain what u said id appreciate it so i can try it.

APC - All Purpose Cleaner - Simple Green being an example
    OPC - Optimum Power Clean - APC found on autogeek made by optimum
    ONR - Optimum No Rinse - No rinse solution that is also used as quick detailer and clay lube at different dilutions, also found on autogeek.
    M
    2012 Acura TL Graphite Luster 6MT AWD
    2013 Mazda Mazda3 Velocity Red 6MT

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,

Well i was unfortunate enough to get a bunch of overspray on my truck and front windshield parked somewhere. not sure what happened, but either way i have to clay my truck and windshield. a paint shop guy told me to use simple green as the lubricant as i clay my truck as it helps breaks down the overspray much better without harming paint. I feel uneasy about it as im not knowledgeable on it. figured id ask you guys.

normally i just use a quick detailer. any other tips?

thanks in advance
    A quick detailer is better than simple green as a clay lube...... at least the simple green products I know about and use. Using an APC is a harsh way of claying a car. You will definitely get the dirt off as well as attached contaminates, at the expense of marring the surface and getting bits of clay stuck in the paint. You don't need cleaning strength from the "clay lube", you need the clay to glide along the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    A quick detailer is better than simple green as a clay lube...... at least the simple green products I know about and use. Using an APC is a harsh way of claying a car. You will definitely get the dirt off as well as attached contaminates, at the expense of marring the surface and getting bits of clay stuck in the paint. You don't need cleaning strength from the "clay lube", you need the clay to glide along the surface.
    Exactly. You shouldnt be claying your car anyway if it's that dirty. You'll only mar the paint and make it even worse.

Post Thanks / Like

ok sounds good. thanks for the input. im slowly getting a hang of all this. appreciate the tips and patience.

Post Thanks / Like
    My main concern with using a product like simple green or any apc as a clay lube would be the streaking your likely to encounter. Unless your rinsing after every 2x2 section I'd steer clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,

...a paint shop guy told me to use simple green as the lubricant as i clay my truck as it helps breaks down the overspray much better without harming paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    That is an interesting idea. I have never done it before and if I were to try it I would use an APC that I know is safe such as OPC.
    I've read where some folks use their car wash shampoo as a clay-lubricant. Instead of Simple Green's APC..Perhaps this paint shop guy was referring to using Simple Green's Car Wash product as a clay-lubricant... It seems to be "salted" enough.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast