autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First Time Detailing!

Hello folks,

I'm new to the forum and have decided to look into detailing for the first time. I've always wanted to take better care of vehicles, and thought that a wash and cleaner wax was sufficient.

Fast forward 10 years later, and I wish my car looked more like it did when I first purchased it. Cleaner waxed it, sold it.

Bought a new car and I wanted to do it right this time. So I found this place!

So I figured I'd test the new skills I learned on my wife's car first. I had to use products I can acquire locally until I receive ones I'm ordering in the mail. Here's what I did:

1. Washed car. I had to use a light brush to remove caked on dirt. I did this with a hose and lots of soap, slowly brushing away the dirt and hosing it at the same time.

2. Clay bar. I picked up a meguiars starter kit with a QD and clayed the vehicle. Much easier than I thought it would be!

3. Polish. I used Meguiars step one that I had kicking around. Did a decent job.

4. Wax. I used Meguiars gold class to provide LSP.

So, my next step will be to get a PC, Klasse AIO/SG, and a carnauba wax of some sort.

For the new car (picking up tomorrow). I'm going to apply the same 4 steps as above (minus the brush), and then do the twins, probably a couple of SG layers, and then a carnauba wax. I know it's going to be some extra work, but I'd rather get a layer of protection with the Gold Class on it right away rather than wait. Do you think it's worthwhile? Or should I just wait until the products arrive? When they do, should I clay again?

Based on what I've read, I'm going to get white (AIO), Green (SG), and blue (wax) pads.

Thanks for any input!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Time Detailing!

Welcome to AGO!

I don't like leaving a car without protection. I might opt for an OTC spray wax to get you through. If you do or use the Megs, KAIO will probably take it off but I would still strip it off. Claying - might just wait and do that prior the KAIO. it will help strip.

Unless you have done it before, I wouldn't machine apply KHGSG.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome and tips!

After some further reading, I think I'm leaning towards the CQuartz route.

Based on that, I think this is the route I'll take:

Wash > Polish (Megs step 1) > Wax (Megs Gold Class, only because I have it already)

When the new products arrive:

Wash (APC) > Clay > Iron X > Polish (Megs step 1) > C Quartz

This route has the least amount of additional products and should offer the best protection over the winter. If I want more shine over the summer, it appears you can use a "Reload" or some waxes on top of the C Quartz.

What do you guys think about this plan? Durability is the priority.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want durability go with Collinite products for LSP!

Post Thanks / Like

Generally, you would want the paint close to perfect before applying Cquartz. If you can achieve that with your plan, then go for it. I used Cquartz here Carpro Fun and have been pleased with it so far.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, that's the plan. I think I'm going to order some Klasse AIO along with the CQuartz, just to make sure I get rid of the old wax and any slight imperfections from the factory.

I'll post some pics when it's all done!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought iron x before clay? Seems it would make clayig go much faster.

Also I don't even think you told us the car!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck2.0T View Post
    Yup, that's the plan. I think I'm going to order some Klasse AIO along with the CQuartz, just to make sure I get rid of the old wax and any slight imperfections from the factory.
    Don't use KAIO for that. KAIO leaves protection and the Cquartz won't stick (well). CG Citrus Wash and/or Carpro Eraser should be used to ensure you are down to bare paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, would it be worthwhile to get the Carpro eraser, or just use the mothers pre-wax cleaner that I have? Just want to make sure I get a good bond over well prep'd surface.

Trumbo, I wasn't entirely sure which should go first, I figured the clay would make the iron x more effective, but it would appear (from what I've read) that clay should go after iron x.

The car is a Grey 2012 Hyundai Sonata Turbo Limited. Picking it up tomorrow morning!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so I washed and clayed the car, and am on the pre-wax cleaner step.

I let the pre-wax cleaner dry a little too much I think, and now there are some tough spots to remove. Do you guys have any recommendations on helping remove the step 1?

It's taking quite a bit of time to remove, but the finish still looks very good. My two thoughts are using the quick detailer, or apply a little more of the cleaner and then remove shortly after applied. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast