autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum cutting disc fusilare :(

This weekend I was excited to try some of my recent purchases from Autogeek. For the first time I tried Hydrotech pads. I used them with Duragloss 501. I had always either used the flat pads or the CCS pads but have a new favorite now.
    I also got a chance to try Optimum's mf cutting discs and also for the first time Meg D300. I had purchased two discs and used them on my mid-sized Lexus GS400. The vehicle had, just on the hood, some water/acid spots. I taped up the hood and divided it into 9 sections. The Griot's DA was on speed 5 and, with some pressure, I tested the first section. The spots were still there and so I bumped the DA up to 5.5 and redid the section. The spots were still visible and so I just assumed that they weren't coming off without removing too much clearcoat or paint. When I finished the second section I noticed that the middle of the pad was gunking with the product, despite using 3 pea sized dots of D300. I spritzed it with some water and massaged the pad to soften the middle. I then switched to my second mf pads and did 2 sections before I had to spritz it with wated again because it gunked.
    After finishing the hood, I decided to try the discs on the headlights. I taped it up and on the second round on the first headlight the disc separated. It was the microfiber part from the foam and not the other side that is on the Lake Country backing plate. The other disc finished both headlights but I noticed after detaching it that the part that attached to the backing plate had started to melt/burn. I also noticed that the backing plate has a dimple on it, presumably from applying too much pressure on rounded surfaces. I am disappointed with the mf discs but am wondering if I did something wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    If its a brand new griots run it for a while, some get real hot at first and burn up backing plates and pads but after they break in a bit the heat will be reduced and you won't have this problem. Also make sure to keep your pad clean after each section pass to reduce heat.
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum cutting disc fusilare :(

The Griot's was bought about a year ago, but, yes, it has burned some pads. In fact, it burned the original Griots pads that it came with but they were replaced freely. I'm just very is disappointed with the longevity of the Optimum mf cutting pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like too much pressure to me. If you're putting too much pressure on a MF pad, it's not going to do its job properly because the fibers are being smashed down. This creates a lot of friction therefore causing heat and premature pad failure.

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to try the microfiber pads, but i to like the hydrotechs very much! However, i had only bought a pack of three so i sent them out to my brother so they can use. I cant wait to put in an order for the hybrids and the microfibers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IOMCAMARO View Post
    Sounds like too much pressure to me. If you're putting too much pressure on a MF pad, it's not going to do its job properly because the fibers are being smashed down. This creates a lot of friction therefore causing heat and premature pad failure.
    Perhaps you are right about too much pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

If Im not mistaken dont the MF require their own backing plate to help dissipate heat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Foam works good to me. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand the advantage to microfiber.

Post Thanks / Like

First off, you should be cleaning the MF pads with a nylon brush or compressed air, not spraying water on them. You may have heated the water up in the pad during the polishing process enough to create steam thus loosening the adhesives that hold the actual MF and foam components together. The gummy residue is a sign of spent product and a need for cleaning. I have some OPT cutting disc with over 15 uses on them and have not had one fail yet.

Secondly, it sounds as stated above that you were using too mush pressure. The MF discs have a lot of surface area as compared to foam thus introducing more polish to the surface being polished inturn requiring less pressure than a traditional foam pad.

Your best bet is to PM or email Chris at OPT and he will for sure guide you in the right direction and help solve any issuse.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I had one do this about 3/4 of the way through the car. It was the cutting pad that separated. I contacted Optimum and the CEO replied back. He said some of the new ones had the issue so the increased the amount of adhesive. I told them that I had a bunch more of the pads and he said once I was able to use the rest of them and if any more failed the would send out replacements. Optimum is just as awesome as Autogeek when it comes to customer service. I highly recommend optimum products!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast