autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I Detailing correctly?

Hello,

I ran into this forum when searching for detailing equipment. I am not a pro deailer, but I love taking care of my cars and want my car to look like it is being maintained by one.

I have also washed my cars religously and waxed them, but with stuff you buy at Wal-Mart, etc. I just purchased a brand new 2007 Honda Accord, Nighthawk Black Pearl. This is my first new car in ages and my first Black car ever. To me, there is not a better looking paint than Black when it is clean and shiny. That said, I have had the car a little over a week and want to give it the Royal treatment from the start.

I have read a ton these past few days and have purchased the following products:

Klasse All-In-One Polish
    Klasse High Gloss Sealant
    P21S Carnuba Paste Wax
    Pinnacle Crystal Mist QD

My plan is to wash the car, then apply the Klasse All-In-One Polish as instructed, and then to apply a single coat of Klasse High Gloss Sealant. I would then wait 12-24 hours for it to cure, and then put a coat of Carnuba Wax over the Sealant. I would then apply the Pinnacle Crystal Mist every now and then after a car wash to really maintain that glossy wet look.

I was curious what everyone thought of my products and the order in which I plan on using and applying them? I basically want to insure that I am not missing some significant step or are using incompatible products.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. These forums are great!
    Last edited by brig2221; 03-14-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    definitely all a good choice....eventually it will not be enough even if you do wash properly swirl marks and contamination will begin....invest in a clay bar when the paint begins to feel rough when applying AIO or any of your LSP's....and when inevitablility sets in and the stuff you have no longer hides the swirls it time to invest in a DA polisher kit...for now you should be good for a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    orngez,

Thanks a lot for the reply. The one thing I want to avoid at all possible, or take care of when it does happen, are swirl marks, especially in a deep black paint.

Forgive my ignorance here. I know what claying is and how to do it. However, I have no idea what a DA polisher kit is. Also, I thought that the Klasse All in One product was used to take care of swirls?

What extra class of products would one use on top of everything else I have already listed to eliminate swirls, and where in my process of steps would it fit? I would assume it would be right before or after applying the Klasse AIO, but definitely before the sealant and wax?

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    DA is a dual action polisher...basically a mnachine that mimics the motion of polishing by hand but does it at up to 6000 oscillations pre minute as opposed to however fast you can move your hand...it is a safe machine that will not harm your paint unless you really try...AIO will take car of very minor swirls...but even with proper washing swirls and light surface scratches will develope...as stated earlier the products you have will last a long time in masking any swirls on your car...the best way to get rid of swirls is prevent them in the first place...research into the two bucket method of washing and always start from top to bottom on your car...

Post Thanks / Like
    I would invest in a PC if you want to take your cars to that next level

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy a PC. Where do you live? If you don't live somewhere where you need a durable paint sealant, I would recommend something more user friendly instead of Klasse sealant. You may not even need a sealant, but if you wanted one go with 4 Star UPP.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a PC, a Dell in fact All kidding aside, what is a PC? Sorry, newb question I know.

I live in the Dallas Texas area, so we have some pretty harsh summers.

orngez, as always, thanks a lot for the feedback.
    Last edited by brig2221; 03-14-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC is the acronym for Porter Cable. They make a polisher, the dual action type that orngez was referring to. You may still find them at Lowe's, or Autogeek sells them as well. You will find a 7424 model or 7336. They are the same except for the counterweight, which apparently doesn't matter much. Once you've gone that route, you will never go back to doing stuff by hand, trust me. Along with the PC, get yourself a good line of polishes like Optimum brand and some various pads and you will be prepared to remove any scratches or swirls that dare show themselves. It is definitely worth the investment. I have a black Bonneville, and it looked very nice when I bought it last August, but after hitting it with a polisher it just looked amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    your position is correct, and you can add a machine and abrasive polish when wanted. The Klasse AIO is only a chemical based paint cleaner, but a good one. One hint, with Klasse Sealant, get yourself a small hairspray bottle (travel size) and only one/two spritz maximum per panel.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    im not sure, so im just playing devils advocate.... can that sealant be topped with a carnauba without bonding issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast