autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Anodized aluminum wheels care

I have a set of Work wheels that have an anodized coating and since my car's a daily driver, the wheels are subject to the same damage as the car. I've spoken to Work Wheels USA and they didn't suggest for or against any cleaners, polishes or sealants. I've done a search but can't seem to find any information regarding polishing anodized aluminum wheels.

I already have Chemical Guys Sticky Gel Wheel Cleaner and their Acrylic Wheel Guard, which are both supposed to be safe for anodized finishes. But I don't know if there is any way to polish out the fine scratches on the lips of my wheels. I know regular metal polishes are out of the question but I was thinking if using a paint polish like Optimum Polish II would work.

Does anyone here have any experience or any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Hassan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anodized aluminum wheels care

Do not use any polishes. Anything abrasive will remove the anodized coating which is basically a thin oxidized layer. washing with soap or a mild cleaner is the only thing you should be doing. If the finish is compromised it will need to be redipped/finished.
    Alan T.

Mike Phillips

All the aluminum in my best friend's Sanger Drag Boat had anodized aluminum and all the aluminum in my boat was polished aluminum.

Mine would oxidize but I could polish it to look like a mirror, key words being "i could polish it".

With his... it was always flat and dull look and there was nothing that could be done with it.

I have some experience with anodizing and know just enough about it to be dangerous, big picture is... there's nothing you can do. The anodizing is not a coating on the metal it's an etching of sorts "in" the surface of the metal. It has a few benefits like hardness and corrosion resistance but you can't polish it.

Also, don't use any type of acid wheel cleaner on it because if you stain it... there's nothing you can do outside of de-anodizing it, then polishing the aluminum and the re-anodizing it.

Some cars come with black anodized trim and I've been answering similar questions from these car owners about their trim and they never like hearing there's nothing you can do [inexpensively] to restore the appearance of black anodized trim that has turned splotchy and ugly.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

I've had a little luck using a simple cleaner/wax to add a little something overall to improve the appearance but nothing dramatic. The cleaners will remove any built-up roadgrime...

Mike Phillips

Just to note... this is why I always stick to aluminum slotted mags... first I like the look, second... I can do something to them easily...

Chrome goes bad and most of us cannot re-chrome our wheels and having it done can be expensive.

Painted rims can become damaged and finding a shop that wants the hassle or taking the hassle on yourself of re-painting them is, well a hassle.

Aluminum? As in bare aluminum? It will oxidize but with a little of your own elbow grease or one of the many tools available now "you" can easily restore them. No "coating" just solid, reliable time-proven aluminum.

Old School Aluminum Slotted Mag Wheels - Extreme Makeover

Fronts before polishing

Fronts after polishing...

Video: How to polish all metals using Flitz Polishes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    Do not use any polishes. Anything abrasive will remove the anodized coating which is basically a thin oxidized layer. washing with soap or a mild cleaner is the only thing you should be doing. If the finish is compromised it will need to be redipped/finished.
    That was what I was afraid of...I guess it's just something I'll have to live with. I've been using just regular car soap to wash the rims because I figure if it's safe for my paint it's safe for my rims. Thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    All the aluminum in my best friend's Sanger Drag Boat had anodized aluminum and all the aluminum in my boat was polished aluminum.

Mine would oxidize but I could polish it to look like a mirror, key words being "i could polish it".

With his... it was always flat and dull look and there was nothing that could be done with it.

I have some experience with anodizing and know just enough about it to be dangerous, big picture is... there's nothing you can do. The anodizing is not a coating on the metal it's an etching of sorts "in" the surface of the metal. It has a few benefits like hardness and corrosion resistance but you can't polish it.

Also, don't use any type of acid wheel cleaner on it because if you stain it... there's nothing you can do outside of de-anodizing it, then polishing the aluminum and the re-anodizing it.

Some cars come with black anodized trim and I've been answering similar questions from these car owners about their trim and they never like hearing there's nothing you can do [inexpensively] to restore the appearance of black anodized trim that has turned splotchy and ugly.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

I've had a little luck using a simple cleaner/wax to add a little something overall to improve the appearance but nothing dramatic. The cleaners will remove any built-up roadgrime...

The funny thing was even before I bought the rims I assumed they were polished aluminum. It sucks there's nothing I can use to polish out the scratches.

I think I've had experience with black anodized trim on my cousin's 135 around the windows. After I washed the car the trim looked multi-coloured, like an oil stain.

I also have another question though: from what I've read, Klasse AIO has no abrasive qualities, but it does have swirl-hiding capabilities so could that be an avenue to consider?

Thanks for the informative posts, Mike.