autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best OTC Aluminum Polish?

I'm looking at buying a new set of rims for the van tonight and I will want to polish them when I get home. I have this impatience issue I deal with on a day to day basis! What would you say is the best over the counter polish? I polished my fenders on my trailer a couple weeks ago with megs cleaner wax and it worked also use CG 721 which also wasn't too bad.

Any Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best OTC Aluminum Polish?

What "type" of aluminum rims?"
    (Are they, for example: Raw; painted; painted and 'coated' with a clear-coat paint; just 'coated' with clear-coat paint; powdered-coated; etc.)

Just a suggestion:
    Mother's has an assortment of OTC products to meet any of the above aluminum-rim-types' polishing requirements/recommendations. Just need to read the labels affixed to their products.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

"Mother's Aluminum Polish" is what many use for OTC and it does work quite well. I use it on exhaust tips and it works great.

Post Thanks / Like

I spent 60 hours over the Winter refinishing the lips of my wheel. Two of the OTC products I used were Mother's Aluminum Polish and Nevr Dull. They turned out fantastic! But there was also a LOT of wet sanding prior to any of the polishes. I also used Optimum Metal Polish but thats not OTC.
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of parts stores carry Busch's aluminum polish. Best stuff period IMO
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

opie_7afe

mothers mag an aluminum polish, with the right pad(felt buffing bob) it can remove 2000 grit sanding scratches with ease...i love the stuff for aluminum, dont use eagle one nano polish, stuff barely turns black on oxidized aluminum and the stuff is almost like jello. heck ive even used m105/205 on aluminum with great results. but just depends what your trying to accomplish. but im sure some mothers will work great for you, another good one is simichrome, my dad used to use that stuff and always worked awesome on aluminum i believe its more aggressive then mothers and hard to find OTC....

to funx i believe mr.shinetime knows the difference between raw and coated aluminum he is a very good professional detailer. i know you're just trying to help and be clear but when your talking to a professional theres no need for questions like that as they should know the difference, if they dont they are not a pro!. just putting my 1 cent in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie_7afe View Post
    to funx i believe mr.shinetime knows the difference between raw and coated aluminum he is a very good professional detailer. i know you're just trying to help and be clear but when your talking to a professional theres no need for questions like that as they should know the difference, if they dont they are not a pro!. just putting my 1 cent in.
    To: opie_7afe

My 2 cents...

I appreciate your concern about what questions I may, or may not, be allowed to pose on this Forum. But...

-Yes...You are correct...I was trying to help and be clear because: Not everyone that visits this Forum are professionals.
    -And, as far as that goes, true Professionals that post threads for information on this Forum should also know this and, IMO, should not be offended by any of my questions you referrenced.
    -A Professional should gladly provide pertinent data upon requests (questions) from other Professionals, in order to obtain truly relevant, germane, and to the point responses.

I just became a little worrisome thinking about anyone using an aluminum/metal polish on clear-coated aluminum rims, that's all.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Mothers Aluminum Polish, or Billet Polish, and a Powerball Mini are both found locally and a very potent apponent.

Scott

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Our Billet Metal Polish is a much finer polish that Mag & Aluminum Polish.

If they're not coated, and high quality machined or cast (with a high shine to them), go with Billet Metal Polish. If they are billet aluminum, use Billet Metal Polish. But, Billet won't remove defects like Mag & Aluminum Polish will.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast