autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Touch-up Paint Help

My Mother-in-Laws car had a lot of chips in the paint. She keeps running into stuff, but not other cars. She swipped a pole at the bank drive through. She recently hit a shopping cart (it's usually the other way around).
    Anyway I ordered touch-up paint. I've already applied two coats to each chip and there are a lot of them. It's a white pearl 2000 Avalon so the coats that I applied are basecoats. There is another tube called midcoat.
    To say the least, things are looking a little rough right now. What I'm wondering is there a sequence of wet sanding that I can use that can be removed (sanding marring) with my PC. The finest grit that I've found in my town is 2000 grit.
    In it's present condition it looks better than it did.
    Any of your ideas are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    the langka system AG sells is pretty good...used it once before about two years ago...one of the few services i dont offer is paint touch up...to finicky and the results are never really that great because there is usually a dent that comes with the scratch or chip and the touch up paint usually highlights that...

Post Thanks / Like
    PaintScratch Touch-Up Paint (rs), Spray Cans, Spray Paint, Paint Pens, Car Paint, Automotive Paint ,

best site i have eve seen/used. Great for getting specialty tools for repairs.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Totoland Mach has become somewhat of a master at paint chip fill ins. He posted this to demonstrate his process. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/3150-rotary-boo-boos-chip-filling.html

I would read this thread and then PM him if you have further questions. He's a great guy and I know he would be happy to help you. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaNative
    Totoland Mach has become somewhat of a master at paint chip fill ins. He posted this to demonstrate his process. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/3150-rotary-boo-boos-chip-filling.html

I would read this thread and then PM him if you have further questions. He's a great guy and I know he would be happy to help you. Good luck.
    Thanks JENN. That was really helpful. A good post to copy by Toto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks: here's another method of filling in a lot of small stone chips. This is the black BMW 740iL that I recently did. I was "fighting" those chips for hours trying to fill them in individually. The problem with that method is they end up looking like a bad case of "car acne"...lots of blobs that are raised above the level of the OEM paint.

Here's a before pic of just a small sample of area. All those white dots are chips that you can see from compounding

For the process, I mixed the touch-up paint with some reducer to thin it out and lengthen the drying time.

Next, I loaded the touch-up in a syringe (being a diabetic, I've got a never ending supply of those) and applied a "line" of touch-up.

Following the line, I used a rubber, beveled edge 3M "squeege" and wiped the area in a directional mode.

I placed the halogen lights close to the area (approx. 18 inches) for the paint to accelerate dry. I let the lights assist for 30 minutes and removed them to cool down the area (another 15 minutes or so).

Then, we mixed up some "secret sauce" in the form of linseed oil + reducer and folded a blue paper shop towel around a rubber block and saturated the towel. Rubbing carefully and keeping the towel soaked in that mixture, it will remove the paint from the top surface and keep the paint in the chip holes. This process takes 15-20 minutes and constantly watching. The reason for the block and not your fingers, is the block is a constant and your fingers could apply too much pressure (thereby removing the paint from the chip holes).

After wiping the area with an old microfiber, I re-applied a coat of #26 with a pc and buffed to the shine you see.

The entire process for the hood (the most chipped area of the car) was 3 hours and it included some stray chips on the side of the car.

Here's 2 pics of each method: First is the touch up with a brush...the blobs are evident.

This is the smear method. Did we get every single chip...Nope! But the finish came out great for a car with 85,000 road miles.

Toto
    Last edited by Totoland Mach; 03-15-2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: added pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    WoW Toto- Nice work!