autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time Warp - 240fps DA GG 6" ROP

Quote Originally Posted by Rix6 View Post
    This message is aimed not only at you, but anybody else who uses a PC style DA polisher. After seeing the ridiculous degree of vibration these tools put out, made evident to me by your slow motion video, arguments towards buying one of these inexpensive models vs something with consideraly less vibration like a Flex are sounding like misguided penny-pinching to me. This is a health issue, plain and simple. This degree of vibration causes acute nerve damage. With short term, infrequent use, this neurological damage is generally self-repairing. But if you push it, the damage can become permanent. It's not even worth screwing around in my educated opinion. It's a matter of the physical health of your limbs. Do yourselves a favor. Put some more $10 bills into the power tool cookie jar until you have enough saved up to buy a safer, and yet more effective tool, and then please do so. You will thank me later.
    +1 ..... took the words right out of my head and expanded on it nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe there's a way to solve this vibration issue, maybe tunning the counter weight ?

Post Thanks / Like

This message is aimed not only at you, but anybody else who uses a PC style DA polisher. After seeing the ridiculous degree of vibration these tools put out, made evident to me by your slow motion video, arguments towards buying one of these inexpensive models vs something with consideraly less vibration like a Flex are sounding like misguided penny-pinching to me. This is a health issue, plain and simple. This degree of vibration causes acute nerve damage. With short term, infrequent use, this neurological damage is generally self-repairing. But if you push it, the damage can become permanent. It's not even worth screwing around in my educated opinion. It's a matter of the physical health of your limbs. Do yourselves a favor. Put some more $10 bills into the power tool cookie jar until you have enough saved up to buy a safer, and yet more effective tool, and then please do so. You will thank me later.
    WOW please even though you think you comment is helpful advice it's not polite and I took it as an insult please understand I can't afford a flex and don't plan on owning one even though I'd like to. I only detail my personal vehicles and I own a griots and I love it. I see videos and post where mike p. and nick use a pc soo please try to preach to them about the damage to there health is as well. I work in a oil refinery where I load 1xx,xxx bbls of gasoline and other chemicals on ships, vessels, tanks, trycks, and railcars that have benzine, h2s and other health related issues. Guess I should quit because in the long run no matter how safe and cautious our procedures are to protect you and your health it's not a healthy environment it work.
    Ryan Gville,LA

Post Thanks / Like
    How was he offensive???
    Black cars are easy!

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I read different than others still I stand by what I said
    Ryan Gville,LA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcg1 View Post
    Guess I read different than others still I stand by what I said
    I really didn't get offended, but yeah, his post wasn't that political as it should, because like you and me, there are tons of people that can't afford a flex.... I'm quite sure there are some guys that can't even afford a PC and hang around here.

Anyway, back to the topic.... yesterday I took some more videos and tried to figure the vibration issue.

My findings:

1- No load (no disc or backplate connected), the machine vibrates like crazy, you can fell the kick from the counter weight, which would led one to think there is something really wrong with the machine balance calculations. But hold that thought for a little while.

2- No load, without the top counter weight: vibration reduced a lot, less kick. Fact that would lead one to think the counter weight might be the problem.

3- With 5" backing plate + 5.5" foam + top counter weight: the machine felt pretty stable, no kick at all. Much less vibration. I couldn't see any off plane movement. When put upside down on the floor the machine could stand without drop on the it's sides, but rotated counterclockwise, which is perfectly fine by the law of conservation of momentum. But as the machine was upside down it would spin clockwise on the right position. This would mean when polishing a car you have to push, just a little, the back of the machine to the right to compensate this effect.

The number 3 result was to be expected, because when the orbital motion from these machines are calculated the engineer must take into account that there will be a mass moving and rotating out from the center of gravity from the orbital mechanism itself and the top counter weight is there to adjust that and try to put the center of gravity where it should be. That's why the machine vibrates like crazy when no load is connected, because we always use it with load....

I still don't know when I'll field test the GG ROP again, but I think it will be much stable next time..... my guess is that the counter weight was loose and that's why it vibrated that much on the video..... I pretty much had around 80-100 hours on it already and the counter weight bolt isn't locked with any kind of glue, so it sure will get loose with time.

I don't have my camera right now but latter at night I'll upload a new shot where the orbital motion can be perfectly seen.

I guess it's just too early to give a verdict about the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not even worth screwing around in my educated opinion. It's a matter of the physical health of your limbs. Do yourselves a favor. Put some more $10 bills into the power tool cookie jar until you have enough saved up to buy a safer, and yet more effective tool, and then please do so. You will thank me later.
    So he says for those that can't outright afford the polisher to save for it and that's offensive?? Man up! I saves for my big screen and for the mini van I bought the wife and for our iPhones and...
    Black cars are easy!

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started using a DA it would hurt my wrists. After a while, you'll get use to it

IMO a DA (in the proper hands) will perform just as well as the flex

If you really won't comfort, get a rotary
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    When I first started using a DA it would hurt my wrists. After a while, you'll get use to it

IMO a DA (in the proper hands) will perform just as well as the flex

If you really won't comfort, get a rotary
    I also don't see these machines as poor quality stuff. But I must admit it's pretty tiresome to work with them. And if everything is not well centered or balanced, the vibration can painful sometimes.

I also admit my technique must still improve in order to get the work done in a easier and comfortable way.

Post Thanks / Like

No pain, no gain

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast