autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Recommendations

I am looking to buy a random orbital polisher, pads, polishing compounds, and wax. I intend to use this for my vehicles only. My wife's car is an 2008 black Honda Accord with all of the black car problems, and I will have a newer silver Subaru soon.

After browsing through the forums off and on for a couple of weeks I am thinking of the Griots Garage 6 RO with 5 inch backing plate. I had originally though of getting an assortment of LC 5.5 pads (Orange, White, Gray, Blue). The compounds I originally selected would be Meguiars 105, 205, and Collinite Wax 845. I was going to get a couple grit guards and MF drying towels also.

However, it seems that lately people have been choosing MF pads with different compounds. I need help selecting the right pads and compounds that will work well on a black car and an inexperienced RO operator.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Recommendations

I just got done working on my black Honda using almost exactly what you have listed and it came out great(including LC pads). Looks like you've done some homework. Have fun!
    Last edited by pockets1951; 03-19-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like

i had the same questions.

I want to buy the 7424 xp and I see the packages offered, but I don't know if that is what I need to do just basic like the op said.

If someone could be help, thanks in advance.

Brent

Post Thanks / Like

I like the LC flat pads. They last a little longer IMO then Meguiar's MF pads. I haven't tried Optimum's though. I use more Meguiar's M105 and M205 then anything else. Make sure you get 5.5" pads.
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

is there specific pads to use with m105 and m205?

and then say what is a good for putting on the final wax say collinite 845?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Over the counter alternatives.

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is a really nice over the counter product. Use this with a Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher and a 5 1/2" Flat Orange foam pad and you will be impressed.

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is a little more user friendly than its professional counterpart, M105 and has a longer working time.

Meguiar's SCRATCH X 2.0 is a nice polish to use after Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. I would say both are the over the counter equivalent of Meguiar's M105 and Meguiar's M205...

Foam Pads

To simplify pad usage, here's a generic usage of pads and products.

Compounding

Compounds or aggressive products are generally used on firmer pads, Yellow, Orange, and Green.

Polishing

The Green, White and Gray pads are generally used with polishes.

Sealants & Wax

Use either a Blue or Red foam pad for applying these

Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System.

Meguiar's really hit a home run with it's Dual Action Microfiber Correction System. It's simple, effective, and works very well.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

thats awesome.

do you have any other advice for a beginner on the machine?

i plan on testing on a truck hood before I tackle something a little more precious.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CLipster View Post
    thats awesome.

do you have any other advice for a beginner on the machine?

i plan on testing on a truck hood before I tackle something a little more precious.

thanks
    Hands on experience is the best method of building your knowledge base. Detailing can be enjoyable if you let it be. At first work slowly. As you become more confident you'll find your comfort zone...

Here's some great information that will help you if you need it.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

is there a big difference between the flat pads and the contoured ones or dimpled ones?

do they pretty much do the same things?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bernoulli72 View Post
    I am looking to buy a random orbital polisher, pads, polishing compounds, and wax. I intend to use this for my vehicles only. My wife's car is an 2008 black Honda Accord with all of the black car problems, and I will have a newer silver Subaru soon.

After browsing through the forums off and on for a couple of weeks I am thinking of the Griots Garage 6 RO with 5 inch backing plate. I had originally though of getting an assortment of LC 5.5 pads (Orange, White, Gray, Blue). The compounds I originally selected would be Meguiars 105, 205, and Collinite Wax 845. I was going to get a couple grit guards and MF drying towels also.

However, it seems that lately people have been choosing MF pads with different compounds. I need help selecting the right pads and compounds that will work well on a black car and an inexperienced RO operator.
    The microfiber pads are great for harder clear coats. For a black Honda however, I'd stick with the foam pads as they finish down nicer.

M105, is in my opinion, not something for a first timer. It works great but is not user friendly if you don't use it properly. I would suggest something like the Meguiars D300 compound. It was made for the microfiber pads but works just as well on foam pads and is very user friendly (long work time, not as much dust as 105 and wipes off easily).
    You could also try the Optimum Compound II. I've only tried it once but liked it. Again, long work time, minimal dusting and wipes off easily.

Now here is something else to consider. For soft black paint, it would really benefit from a finishing polish like Menzerna PO85RD on a black foam pad.

Also, I'm not sure what size/kind foam pads you were considering but the 5.5" flat pads work best imo.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast