autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

CG Bare Bones or Griot's Undercarriage?

For those that have used both, which do you prefer and why?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CG Bare Bones or Griot's Undercarriage?

I havent tried griots... but i have CG
    And i think it gives a really good shine
    But thing is, the product SEEMS very oily.... but obviously i didnt touch it... i applied it with gloves on...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bunky has a comparison on Live 2 Detail. I don't know if it's on this forum because AG was not carrying chemical guys at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

neither
    i find them to oily. and i want a spray on walk away product. i found megs D171 the best, but you cant find it anymore.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...171-wells.html

i will be trying megs hyper dressing next. (water based). i have read at 3:1 it does great on wells.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both and my choice is BareBones. They are both very similar with the griots seeming a bit more oily. In the end they are so similar I would say go with price. I found BareBones cheaper when I bought a gallon.

Like Arctic JK I will more than likely be switching to Meg's hyper dressing next since it can be diluted and will be more cost effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    I have used both and my choice is BareBones. They are both very similar with the griots seeming a bit more oily. In the end they are so similar I would say go with price. I found BareBones cheaper when I bought a gallon.

Like Arctic JK I will more than likely be switching to Meg's hyper dressing next since it can be diluted and will be more cost effective.

I'm in the same boat. I like the shine and smell of barebones. The griots has a very harsh chemical smell. I want to try hyperdressing but i have to wait a bit.

How long does hyper dressing last once applied?

Post Thanks / Like

I had some plastic shelving panels I had removed from a cabinet and decided to try some experiments with CG Bare Bones and Griot's Undercarriage Spray. The CG crowd says the are the same so I wanted to see if I could determine differences.

This was something I just thought up today so nothing was planned so really did not think much about what I wanted to show.

I started with the same amount of product to make some meaningful comparison.

Initial visual/smell notes:

Griots is darker blue and has a heavy musky smell. CG has a much lighter and nicer smell..

I started with 1/4 ounce each. Griots is on the left; CG is on the right.

I spread it in a more less same size area using a cloth towel.

Griot's is much oiler than CG. Griot's spread fairly uniform with a nice wetting of the surface and provided a nice finish. CG was more liquid so it probably could have been spread farther but never was as uniform as Griots initially

Initial application - Sun in front of camera angle

Initial application Sun behind camera angle

Allowed to dry 30 min.

CG is much closer to Griot's in look

Buffing to remove excess

This is after a second buffing just after the above shot.

The look is nearly identical. Griot's looks a tad richer in angles.

Sprayer Test

The spray test on another panel but not truly apples to apples. The right side is Griots and the left side is an Adam's spray but it does show the Griots.

The panel was placed on its end to watch the spray drip if someone sprayed and walked away. The point in both cases (Griot's being the more obviously) is the need to spray and then spread evenly. The Griot's spray just was not even and I think in part is due to that Griot's is a thicker liquid. The sprayer just could not disperse on several pumps.

Durability - Test in process. I put the first test panel at an angle (so water does not pool) and see how they do. I may get the hose out and wash them some to speed up the test.

Conclusions

Griots is more substantial (more oils) than CG. CG is much a thinner liquid so they are clearly not the same formula based upon my evaluation.. Griots seemed to spread easier and produce a more even appearance with the initial wipe. My guess is the more oil the longer the durability but do not have data to indicate that yet.

CG was much less intense and was much wetter so it may cover a larger area (something to try next time). .
    In the wheel well area, you do not see the unevenness as readily (it is fairly dark!) but clearly obvious when seen in full light when just spraying and walking away.

My conclusion is to use sparingly and spread with an applicator. It does run if you spray more than a few shots and then gets on the driveway. I have read some say it stains but I have not really seen it but I have concrete in less the perfect condition.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty good for an impromptu comparison, great job!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad... It's impossible for ^^ our subaru ^^ to use that... unless we take off our rims...

Post Thanks / Like

I sure wouldn't use bare bones. After reading all the reviews on CG's website I gave it a shot and to say the least I was disappointed. Way to oily. If you want a good product to use that's not oily and doesn't run, try CG black on black. I love it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast