autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Realistic Daily Driver Expectations

Nobody can answer that question for you. I drive a 99 Civic, and I clay, polish, seal it every year a couple times. I don't get very picky with it cause it's my daily driver. That being said, other people probably think that's being picky. I don't...and that's all that matters

A daily driver (in my opinion) should AT LEAST be polished and sealed. It shines it up, gives protection, and will give your paint a longer life. Whether that is worth it to you or not...is up to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhjunkie View Post
    I have two cars that are outside 24/7. No matter what I do the car will be covered with dew and who knows what else the next morning. Am I wasting my time? Would I better off going to the $5 touchless , letting the drive home dry it off, dress the tires, clean the windows and call it a day?
    Touch-less washes are OK in a pinch but the soaps they use are very harsh. They are hard on your LSP's and rubber on the vehicle. The towels they offer are probably not the best and who knows how many times they have been dropped on the ground, washed (hopefully) and returned to scratch the paint of the unsuspecting user.

You are not going to able to keep a car that is outside 24/7 clean for long, but I find that ONR washing whenever you get time and a good 2 bucket wash every few weeks will help keep the vehicle looking good and will preserve your vehicle much better than the touch-less washes.

Bottom line: wash it whenever and however you feel like it. Its your car.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

At a minimum use a waterless wash and spray wax afterwards.

Way better than strong chemicals from public washes.

Post Thanks / Like

My car too is outside 24/7 but I stay ontop of it, I know NO other way. When its too cold to use ONR I run it through the touch-free wash with a good, strong underbody wash. Before the cold weather hits, I have alot of layers of "Z" on the car and when coming out of the winter, when it warms up, the ONR comes out again. This past couple weeks the weather has been VERY warm, so I've been all over the car. Its like someone said, set your priorities! Unless your literally working/busy all day, there's ALWAYS time for your car and the dew will go away, the weather is warming up and besides, if there's dew, the sun usually dries it up anyways.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

My '96 Ford sits outside 24/7. It's driven in the salt and slop in Pa. in the winter. With Klasse and Collinite 845 applied 3 to 4 times a year, it looks good and beads like crazy with very little effort. The toys in the garage get much more attention. Sealed and waxed, it helps shed the grime.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two cars that are outside 24/7. No matter what I do the car will be covered with dew and who knows what else the next morning. Am I wasting my time? Would I better off going to the $5 touchless , letting the drive home dry it off, dress the tires, clean the windows and call it a day?
    You would be a perfect candidate for a coating of Opti Coat 2.0. Then just go through the touchless and call it a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
    My '96 Ford sits outside 24/7. It's driven in the salt and slop in Pa. in the winter. With Klasse and Collinite 845 applied 3 to 4 times a year, it looks good and beads like crazy with very little effort. The toys in the garage get much more attention. Sealed and waxed, it helps shed the grime.
    Where you at in PA? If you don't mind me asking?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I'll start using the pressure washer @ the coin op instead of the touchless. Then ONR at home. How does that sound? Quick question. This morning there was some tree debris along with dew. Some came off during the drive to church. How can I safely remove the rest of the debris?
    Last edited by dhjunkie; 03-18-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I'll start using the pressure washer @ the coin op instead of the touchless. Then ONR at home. How does that sound? Quick question. This morning there was some tree debris along with dew. Some came off during the drive to church. How can I safely remove the rest of the debris?
    Tree debris, as in petals off of the budding blooms? Dogwoods are a pita.

I use a leaf blower and ONR as a QD on my 2 outside 24/7 vehicles.

Happy detailing hand.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

My Matrix is Navy Blue and is outside 24/7, so you could imagine how dirty it can look and how quickly. Sometime soon I want to give it a quick compound and polish to just get out swirls and scratches, but I need to accept that she will always have rock chips and will get dirty. Depending on how much time, I wax, not going more than 3 washes without a wax and just QD in between washes just to keep her presentable. I see her as a billboard for my part time detailing. It's all in your perspective.
    From PA, just outside of Philadelphia.
    Still new to the game. Hobby Detailer. General car lover, but a huge Toyota enthusiast!!
    Looking forward to always learning!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12