autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1992 Mustang Spring Preparation

Hey there!

First, sorry for the quality of my english. I'm a french Canadian (not from Quebec!) haha.

So, with nice time coming around the corner, I think it's time to prepare the car for the summer! I have a '92 LX Mustang still wrapped in its original Performance Red Single Stage paint. I'm the second owner. The paint is in great shape, with only 2 minor chips on the hood and a spot where the paint is really thin on the edge of the spoiler (hatchback model). She has a bit of oxydation and lots of swirl.

So, for her 20th birthday, I decided her to gave her a little make over. The 16'' ROH ZR6 wheels that she wore since new will be replaced by a set of 17x9/17x10 Chrome Saleen SC (I'll keep the ZR6, don't worry). She'll also get a Powerdyne Supercharger and a 284HR Cam. But I'd also like to freshen her paint, without going for a new paint as I know the stock paint still has a lot of years in it.

I'd like to know what you'd do with the car. I know it's quite hard to figure something out without any pictures, but I'm in university and the car is in storage at home 3 hours from here (next time I go down I'll take pictures). I've heard about the miraculous Meguiars #7... But what next? Also, the black windows trims are starting to fade. Any good recommandation for that? Is there a lasting product? Not just some kind of band-aid?

Thanks a lot,
    92LX302

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1992 Mustang Spring Preparation

Your pony car looks super, and what a great back-drop, love being on the water. Oh, your English is just fine.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fox body. They will always have a special place in my heart.
    2011 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

I had one just like that without a sunroof. My first new car. A fun ride for 8 years then I updated.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliments!
    It's my first car for me!
    And yes, there's tons of place around here for nice background like that one.

My father bought a '11 like you 01GreyStangGT and 5.0, an race red 5.0 convertbile...Those are fine cars!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice LX! I have the same paint on my car. I've had very good luck with megs #7 on the paint.

Typically I'll wipe the car down with it at like 7 or 8 at night and let it sit over night. The next morning I'll get up and wipe it all off, then re apply and wait as long as I can. Then apply the sealant of your choice. However it seems to be a monthly thing, but i'm sure the paint on my car is in worse shape but the re-applications are starting to get farther apart.

As far as the trim, I've been using a waterless wash called GatorGlo and it seems to be reviving the trim some. People that i've talked to who have used it said it did the same thing for them, so it may be worth a shot. I haven't had luck with much else. Granted i haven't bought many trim products either.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 92LX302 View Post
    Hey there!

I have a '92 LX Mustang still wrapped in its original Performance Red Single Stage paint. I'm the second owner.

The paint is in great shape, with only 2 minor chips on the hood and a spot where the paint is really thin on the edge of the spoiler (hatchback model).

She has a bit of oxidation and lots of swirl.

I've heard about the miraculous Meguiars #7... But what next?

As old as the paint is, 20 years, you want to start being very careful about using any type of abrasive product on it and if you do use an abrasive product be sure to use the least aggressive product to get the job done as this will leave the most paint on the car.

The oils in #7 have proven themselves since the time of the Model T to work very well at preserving and bringing out the full richness of color for single stage paints.

If you have swirls and oxidation you can decide for yourself it's it's a good idea to try to remove these to defects but keep in mind that means removing precious paint.

Or just lightly polish to remove the oxidation and the apply #7 and then a coat of wax and live with the swirls.

If you want a light cutting polish to remove the oxidation and you're already using Meguiar's then look at the Ultimate Polish or M205 and apply by machine with foam pads if you have a safe, DA Polisher.

You might also look at one of the Fine cutting polishes in the Menzerna line...

Menzerna - New Names and Product Numbers

For a wax, again if you're sticking with Meguiar's and using #7 after polishing then maybe consider M26 Hi Tech Carnauba Wax or M20 or M21, all good products.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for those info!

I can't wait to do my first order and start to work

Post Thanks / Like

I know you'll hate me... I didn't take any before/after picture... Nor picture while doing it... But here's a picture I took not long after the detail job (#7 and Mothers Carnuba Wax), did miracle to the paint. About a month or so after the detail job, I met the original owner at the Atlantic National... He was wondering how come I repainted the car haha!

Wearing her new shoes:

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking LX; definitely still has great paint. The ROH wheels were one of my favorites back in the day & they still have a soft spot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast