autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the latest 'trend' in ONR washing?

It's been a while since I've done an ONR wash (lately have been doing traditional washes), and wanted to get a quick refresher on the latest/greatest methods of using ONR.

I've read through about a dozen threads this week and just wanted to post what I plan to do and then get your thoughts/suggestions/recommendations on a good thread to read in case I missed it. For the record I have a black audi that has been opti-coated. Here's my plan:

1. Powerwash at coin-op & drive home
    2. Pre-spray lower panels with QD strength ONR mix
    3. Using 2-buckets with grit guards, go panel by panel, pre-spraying each panel with the QD ONR mix just before using folded plush MF to clean the panel (flipping to clean part of MF as needed).
    4. Once panel is clean, toss used MF in rinse bucket/agitate on grit guard (if it has any unfolded portions left to use), otherwise will use new MF on next panel (here's what I get a bit confused as to whether or not I should be re-using the MF). To be safe I will probably just end up using use a new MF on each panel.
    5. Using a clean MF, will spray a little QD ONR or Optimum Car Wax (or some other spray wax) to use as a drying aid while I dry the panel.
    6. Repeat...

I'm definitely a bit confused as to what to do with the 'used' MF and the rinse bucket. Let's say I use 4 of the 8 folded sides of an MF on a panel. Do I just use the 4 clean sides on the next panel? Do I first agitate the MF in the rinse bucket to remove what I can from the dirty sides so I don't redeposit anything when I dip back in the clean bucket? If I do agitate it, I'm just agitating to remove loose dirt so it doesn't redeposit in clean bucket, not actually trying to fully clean the MF so I can reuse a used portion of it, correct?

Of course if I'm using something other than MF towels, I would have to agitate to clean it. But if I'm using MF towels do I just use 8 or 10 towels in total for the 8 or 10 sections I'll be cleaning?

As I mentioned above I'm inclined to just use a completely new MF for each panel, but wanted to see exactly what everyone does regarding this.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the latest 'trend' in ONR washing?

ONR loosens dirt and releases very well. Dirt drops to bottom quickly. I may be odd man out but I only use one bucket for ONR and never had isssues. I use one MF to ash whole car but use 2 clean MF per panel to wipe dy. The new ONR is worth giving away earlier versions IMO!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    ONR loosens dirt and releases very well. Dirt drops to bottom quickly. I may be odd man out but I only use one bucket for ONR and never had isssues. I use one MF to ash whole car but use 2 clean MF per panel to wipe dy. The new ONR is worth giving away earlier versions IMO!
    I keep it even simpler. Chenille wash mitt, one bucket, and a couple BIG towels to blot dry my truck. Never had an issue in the 7500 miles since new, and countless ONR washes. Some of them were even a little worse than I probably should have done, but it was for "research" purposes
    2011 Ford Edge Limited - White Platinum Metallic
    2012 Ford F150 FX4 Lux - Sterling Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Your using grit guards y use soo many towels.
    Ryan Gville,LA

Post Thanks / Like

1 bucket w/grit guard for me. 2 gal water, 1 oz. of ONR + 1/2 oz.of Opti-Wax added and mixed thoroughly.

Super Plush micro fiber for washing. Wash panel, rinse towel and ring out excess ONR solution.
    Wipe excess ONR from panel with wrung out plush mf. Mist panel with FK 425 and dry with a WW drying towel followed by another final wipe with dry plush MF towel as necessary.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

If you're power-washing beforehand, AND doing a pre-soak, I'd use just one bucket with a grit guard. I don't waste time cleaning towels while washing - I'll just pick up a new one once the old one is dirty (though I will use all eight sides of a double-plush towel). Doesn't really make much difference whether you wash one towel or ten, and I feel using multiple towels lessens the chances of marring.
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much everybody!

Post Thanks / Like

Also, do you guys find that 2 gallons of water is enough, or do you end up making up another batch? If the MF is going to be dripping wet going from bucket to car, I feel like I'm going to use/lose a lot of solution and will quickly run out (I'm doing a small SUV).

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with some of the others, I think you are doubling or tripling up your steps. If you are powerwashing, you don't need to pre-soak. If you are pre-soaking, you don't need to do it again when you are washing the panel. If you are using a rinse bucket with a grit guard and cleaning your wash media, you don't need to change your wash media (you'll have to change your drying media as it becomes saturated).

And 2 gallons is plenty, you don't really want to be dripping it all over the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newb001 View Post
    Also, do you guys find that 2 gallons of water is enough, or do you end up making up another batch? If the MF is going to be dripping wet going from bucket to car, I feel like I'm going to use/lose a lot of solution and will quickly run out (I'm doing a small SUV).
    I mix up 3 gallons since I am very generous with the product plus you have plenty to do the wheels and wells at the end. If you use a grit guard you lose access to 1 gallon (blocked by grit guard).

I also use two buckets - can only add a factor of safety with not much extra cost. I have skipped the grit guard in the wash bucket since I had a second bucket. But the the same argument could be made for 1 bucket is fine for not very soiled cars in a traditional soap car wash process as well.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast