autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Micrfiber Towel lint left on car after removing wax or drying. WHY?

IMO, linting is the nature of microfiber. The fibers (sooner or later) loosen and shed. If the towel is wiped over a grabby surface it will shed more. Sometimes towels with very short nap work best.

I usually use a WW towel with some QD to remove lint. I also use WW towels in general for QDs and waterless washes....and of course on glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waxmax View Post
    IMO, linting is the nature of microfiber. The fibers (sooner or later) loosen and shed. If the towel is wiped over a grabby surface it will shed more.
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with above with it basically being a friciton thing. I have had to dry my car with decent MFs and they have linted. But once I noticed the problem, I went back and wiped over the surface again only very gently, to wipe off the lint. It seemed to do the trick. It was said earlier but, maybe just do what you gotta do and follow it up with another microfiber to gently wipe away any linting you may have incurred? Hope this helps.

- Cash
    From PA, just outside of Philadelphia.
    Still new to the game. Hobby Detailer. General car lover, but a huge Toyota enthusiast!!
    Looking forward to always learning!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help and answers from all; I especially like the answer by WAXMAX Originally Posted by Waxmax
    IMO, linting is the nature of microfiber. The fibers (sooner or later) loosen and shed.
    Also the comments by SETEC ASTRONOMY.

I'm going to run some "tests" on the Cobra Microfiber towels I just received from AG, and I'll post my unprofessional results.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waxmax View Post
    IMO, linting is the nature of microfiber. The fibers (sooner or later) loosen and shed. If the towel is wiped over a grabby surface it will shed more. Sometimes towels with very short nap work best.

I usually use a WW towel with some QD to remove lint. I also use WW towels in general for QDs and waterless washes....and of course on glass.
    Your right, I have cobra towels as well as other brands, (Sams Club has a HUGE package at a super price) they all lint. Usually I just hit the car with the air compressor to blow most of it off. I suspect the static nature of these towels may contribute to the lint sticking to the cars finish as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken to washing and rinsing my microfibers well (with extra emphasis on rinsing.) This is in an attempt to eliminate *all* soap residue from said towels. Any grabby fabric softener residue has long since been cleaned out of both washer and dryer. At the conclusion of drying my microfiber towels there is next to zero lint in the lint trap. What was going to lint easily has long since done so and is gone, the rest is holding fast. Washing normal clothes, there is always lint in the trap. Now my cotton clothes, those are never going to stop linting.

Oh, and yes, the lint fiber left on the paint problem has not been a problem for me for a very long time. YMMV.

-Rick

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345