autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem With Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish

Earlier today I tried out my Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish which was part of the Wet Diamond Kit that I purchased last January 31 when the new Blackfire line was launched. The instructions at the back of the bottle said "apply small amounts on a damp terry cloth or micro fiber applicator". "wipe on with large overlapping strokes and allow haze to dry", "buff off dry residue with a clean terry cloth towel or microfiber towel".

So I used a small wax sponge and wet it and ringed out all the excess water. I applied a small amount and applied it on the car by hand. Once hazed I tried to buff it off with a microfiber towel. The finish was really hazy and on some parts of the car the polish refused to buff out, it just sat on the paint all hazed up. I tried using another sponge that was completely dry and applied again but there was no change to the un-removable haze. I tried not waiting for it to haze up before removing with no success. Some of the areas that I was able to remove the hazed portions looked cloudy and "squeaked" when passed over with my finger. It definitely didn't look like it was just polished.

I tried using FK215 on another sponge to remove the hazing but I was having a hard time removing the haze. I then changed to Autoglym SRP and then I was starting to have success removing the haze. It took 2-3 passes by hand before all of the hazing cause by the GEP was gone. What went wrong? Could it possible be a different product filled into the Polish bottle? The liquid is very white in color.
    Last edited by Conan; 03-04-2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: added details

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problem With Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish

Gloss Enhancing Polish is designed to be applied extremely thin, much like Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. With this product, less is more. I've found that it dries to a haze within a minute of being applied. If you let it sit on the paint any longer, it won't wipe off the paint as easily.

Also be sure that you're working on a cool panel out of direct sun.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used this product, but I'm guessing you probably need to shake the bottle well for starters (if you didn't do so already). To remove the haze, try applying a fresh layer of the same product and wipe it off immediately. That trick can work for wax that's dried rock hard, let's see if it works with this here polish. If you really get in a bind, try some cleaner wax.

Oops, I just read that you finally managed to remove the haze. Give Nick's suggestion a try on a small section of one panel -> very thin, and wipe off after no longer than a minute, as Dr. Nick prescribes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Gloss Enhancing Polish is designed to be applied extremely thin, much like Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. With this product, less is more. I've found that it dries to a haze within a minute of being applied. If you let it sit on the paint any longer, it won't wipe off the paint as easily.

Also be sure that you're working on a cool panel out of direct sun.
    Yes it was a cool car inside my garage, applied thinly and I tried both methods of letting dry to a haze and also wiping off immediately like you would with a glaze. I also shook the bottle a lot before using.

@Rix6 - applying the product again over the hazed portion that couldn't be removed didn't work as this was the first remedy that I tried to do.

The previous day I did half of the car with FK215 and then topped with Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Protection and it was one of the easiest products to remove that I've ever encountered. That's why the Polish really puzzled me.

Post Thanks / Like

I never have any problems with this product or similar ones. I always use a lot of product and never let it dry up. It works best when wiped off wet. Work it in till is starts to go from opaque to clear, then remove. Very simple. also I dont use a wet applicator.

Fortunately Blackfire rewrote the instructions on the new bottle. and instructions are to apply with a dry applicator then remove.

on hazy patched reapply then remove wet . letting it dry to a haze is causing issues for you I bet, as well as not using enough product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mg6045 View Post
    I never have any problems with this product or similar ones. I always use a lot of product and never let it dry up. It works best when wiped off wet. Work it in till is starts to go from opaque to clear, then remove. Very simple. also I dont use a wet applicator.

Fortunately Blackfire rewrote the instructions on the new bottle. and instructions are to apply with a dry applicator then remove.

on hazy patched reapply then remove wet . letting it dry to a haze is causing issues for you I bet, as well as not using enough product.
    I do have the new bottle and the instructions were posted above, like I said in my first post. I did try removing it wet but it did nothing to remove the hazed up portions.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran into this very same issue today!! I buffed on with gg3" and just did a small section very light use of the product and it left a filmy, hazy look... Tried taking it off wet and it didn't help..
    To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. " Steve Prefontaine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryance39 View Post
    I ran into this very same issue today!! I buffed on with gg3" and just did a small section very light use of the product and it left a filmy, hazy look... Tried taking it off wet and it didn't help..
    Sorry to hear that you ran into the same issue. I tried the polish on my other car this morning with a dry microfiber towel and wiping it off immediately on a very small section of the car's hood. While it didn't haze up, it brought no improvement to the look of the paint.