autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Car Wash Stripped Product?

I live in an apartment complex. I can get away with ONR washes but it's a pain since there's no water hookups I can use. Most of the time I take the car to a self-serve car wash with pressure washers. Usually I just use RINSE feature and ONR two bucket method. Today my car was filthy from a week of rain so I figured I'd try the SOAP pressure setting along with my regular process. As I got around drying it off I noticed that the water was just sitting on the car as a sheet and not beading up; almost like there was no product. My car has the Klasse Twins + Colonite 845 treatment. It's 3 months old, but was still beading up great through the rain this week.

Is it possible that the soap at the car wash stripped the products off my car? Does anybody know what kind of soap these places typically use?

On the plus side it gave me an excuse to try out my Pinnacle Liquid Souveran sample from Autogeek.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car Wash Stripped Product?

yes

Post Thanks / Like

It is very possible that the soap did strip that protection off your car. Or that it left a residue behind that would take forever to rinse off.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Ive always been told that even the normal soap at the coin op places have heavy degreasers in them. I live in an apartment complex also and your best bet would be to go to the coin op and use the "Rinse" function only just to get the heavy stuff off and then drive back home still wet. I say drive home dripping since your still going to have a layer of dirt on your car regardless of the protection you have on your vehicle and you dont want to dry your car and drag all that nasty stuff over your paint and induce swirls.

After you get back to your complex just do your normal ONR wash and then spray wax afterwards to get your shine back. The ONR wash will get rid of any light water spots you made during the drive back. Its a pain in the rear to do but this has been my method for the past couple months and its worked out well so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll never use coin op soap . I do feel its too harsh and can strip off lsp . I'll use only the rinse and drive back home to do rinse less wash. most of the time I take my 2 buckets with me to wash bay and do everything right there. wash bay I use is heated and never have any problems with being rushed . so I 2 bucket wash with dg and dry right there .

Post Thanks / Like

I've been trying real hard to strip the Opti-Coat 2.0 that is on my car with the soap feature at the local coin-op and it's not working. I would think that the protection you had after 3 months was pretty much done anyway so it shouldn't have been to hard to strip at that point. The coin-op soap would do it if anything would. Most of the coin-ops use an alkaline based soap that works pretty well at stripping wax, funny thing is it doesn't remove the dirt very well though.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the soap at my coin op and the klasse twins are holding up fine for me. Doesn't do much to the dirt either way but I'm trying to see how long the twins will last against it.
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I've read that for some people, using ONR prematurely killed off their coating of 845.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be the dirt that killed the beading. It's happened to me before, when I prerinse the car it looks as though there is no protection and after the wash the car beads again.

Just a thought
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

If your taking it to a machine car wash you must HATE your car. My cars NEVER see a machine car wash....and you will get mixed opinions here. BUT if you like your car, wash it by hand by yourself. Not with the recycled SH at the car wash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast