autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Car Cover?

Post Thanks / Like

Car Cover?

Does anyone use them for their garage queen? If I put it on after a fresh polish/wax

application will it "soak" up the wax? Final question is...Is there any technique to putting

one on so that the "outside"doesn't touch the paint? Thanks
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car Cover?

I use covers every day.

The trick with applying/removing is to fold the left hand side, and the right hand side, to the center.

Then, start at the front and roll it towards the rear.

To reinstall, lay on the trunk and unroll, then fold each side down.

Done in this manner, the "outside" of the cover never touches the paint surface.

I don't think a cover will "soak" up the wax.

BTW, I prefer "Dustop" material for indoor use, and Evolution 4 for outdoor use. It may be bulky (because it's 4 layers think), but it protects against door dings at the airport. I prefer custom fits because the mirror pockets help to hold the cover in place. If you have a fixed antenna, unscrew/remove it instead of punching a hole in the cover. I use a cable and lock when I leave mine on at the airport, so no one steals the cover.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    I use covers every day.

The trick with applying/removing is to fold the left hand side, and the right hand side, to the center.

Then, start at the front and roll it towards the rear.

To reinstall, lay on the trunk and unroll, then fold each side down.

Done in this manner, the "outside" of the cover never touches the paint surface.

I don't think a cover will "soak" up the wax.

BTW, I prefer "Dustop" material for indoor use, and Evolution 4 for outdoor use. It may be bulky (because it's 4 layers think), but it protects against door dings at the airport. I prefer custom fits because the mirror pockets help to hold the cover in place. If you have a fixed antenna, unscrew/remove it instead of punching a hole in the cover. I use a cable and lock when I leave mine on at the airport, so no one steals the cover.
    Perfect!! Great tip!!. I already have a car cover that came with the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a "Noah" car cover for the outside to use on our Cobra till we got a 63 Pontiac out of our garage. I forget the mfg but it was a custom and a very good one. I use a soft blanket in the garage because we found the all weather cover scratched our black paint no matter how gently we put it on or took it off. We used the roll up method described above. So we switched to the blanket for the garage. In the future I'd like to get a lightweight nylon cover for the garage. I hope your cover doesn't scratch your paint.
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

I use dust top flannel for the Lambo in the winter. Soft enough so it doesn't scratch.
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
    I bought a "Noah" car cover for the outside to use on our Cobra till we got a 63 Pontiac out of our garage. I forget the mfg but it was a custom and a very good one. I use a soft blanket in the garage because we found the all weather cover scratched our black paint no matter how gently we put it on or took it off. We used the roll up method described above. So we switched to the blanket for the garage. In the future I'd like to get a lightweight nylon cover for the garage. I hope your cover doesn't scratch your paint.
    Ugg! You guys are scaring me. I hope it doesn't scratch either. Thanks for the feedback though.

Post Thanks / Like

I use one in the winter only as I store it from T-giving until the salt and sand clears off the road.

I think a better, dont-scratch-it technique is as follows:

Make sure the car is always clean and dust free whenever you use the cover. That way no dirt will ever get on the inside. If you put it on a dirty car, it will scratch the car and get the inside dirty. A dirty inside will potentially scratch it everytime you put it on or off.

I use a california duster on the outside of the cover before I remove it from the car to keep the dust/dirt that had accumulated from getting inside the cover when you roll it back up.

I use the mirror pockets as anchor points. This keeps the cover from sliding much and helps prevent any marring. To remove, I roll up the rear toward the mirrors in small folds until it reaches the mirrors. Then roll the front back to the mirrors. Then fold the drivers side over onto the windshield, then passenger side. Then remove from mirrors and finish folding. I store it in a bag whenever not on the car.

Here is a crappy cell phone pic I took last year when explaining this to someone else. I was not quite done with the front. Both "halves" will meet at the mirrors and be ready to fold across the windshield.

To apply, do the opposite.

A tip for you. Mark the cover when it is folded up on the windshield so that you can tell what direction to place it. I marked arrows toward the front, drivers and pass side to orient the cover.

My car is white, so, it is hard to tell for sure, but, I have not noticed any marring with my technique. If there is any, it is minor. No more than a wash would do to it. Even if you do get a little, you have the ability to correct it.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).