autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face which car to start with? and other Newbie ??

I just took the plunge after seeing all of the great pictures before and after of your cars and am impressed. I originally found this website after looking for scratch and swirl removal. I ordered way too much product and a PC to start. I have a couple of questions My question are after having read almost the entire forum, watched the Pinnacle detailing movies are:

1. do you need to clay if your car has very bad swirls/ but not scratches thru the paint if you are going to be removing the swirls...? It seems to me that the deep removal of the swirls would remove the contaminants, but I can also see that the contaminants might induce more problems into the process.

2. Which car to start on having never done this before??

My 06 Infiniti G35 black that I just bought has VERY BAD swirls and scratches and appears to be the toughest to work.....(the reason to take the plunge and order too much product!) Wifes 03 Expediton - Red has swirls, but ohh man is that a big car to tackle..!

And the third car, my baby of over 22 years is a 65 mustang - green (new paint) with some swirls, but if I ever did something to the paint after a $5,000 paint job which is 5 years old, I would cry!! So I am leaning towards this one last...., but it would be the easiest to work on....

I ordered the PC with the Edge system, the Pinnacle twins, Wolfgang sealant and the Souveran paste, micro towels and boy does this stuff add up!!

3. Live in the dessert in West TX and no washing cars other than at the car wash so have to use pressure hoses, does this negate trying to minimize the swirls?

4. How do you explain / excuses to your wife who already thought you were insane for cleaning the cars that you will be spending more time doing this?? She is one who never even uses the window washer & wipers when you can't see out the front window. Her response is she didn't notice, drives me crazy!! she would never wash the car if it wasn't for me.... )

Thank you in advance for all of your suggestions!! I will take pictures and try and figure out how to post them at that time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Believe that I would start with the wife's red 03 Expedition for a couple of reasons. One is she might buy into the process after seeing how good her car looks. Two is that may be the easiest one to correct. Just did mt 01 Expedition but committed to do all but the top this time (Did the top by hand). Had a roller seat to do the lower panels. That sorta gives that monster a different perspective (not so big and impossible).

Post Thanks / Like
    OH! and Welcome to the Forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you get started, and see results, you will not stop. The PC is very safe and can be used many times without issue. I would too start with wifes truck, and then move onto the swirlbuster needing G35.

As for clay, yes, you need to take the time and do it to all cars. Easy test, take some saran wrap and place over hand and move across the finish. If it studders, those are contaminents in paint your clay can remove. Move steady, use lots of lubricant, and dont grind clay. You'll do wonders !!!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay is good and needed most of the time.
    Start with the red first for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the club!