autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Sanding: Hand or Machine?

Ok, guys and gals. I did my first (for money) headlight restorations this weekend.

Everything worked out great, but I am thinking machine sanding could really speed up the process. What is everyones preference?

3" sanding discs aren't that expensive, but what about the backing plate? I assume I would need the "uni grit" backing plate, as the holes are there due to heat?

Also, it seems most people use drills for this step. Any reason I can't use my GG6? I mean with the uni grit backing plate I could sand, and then switch to the 4" pads without changing machine or backing plate, correct?

I know some spots would have to be hand sanded, but it just seems machine sanding would speed up the process and take out few more spots than you could by hand?

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Sanding: Hand or Machine?

My experience has been that a solid backing plate tool doesn't give uniform sanding/polishing on an aerodynamic headlamp.

Machine is much faster, and more uniform, than by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had great luck with the 3" backing plate that comes in the 3M headlight Kit. Then I just ordered a few boxes of Trizact sanding discs, as well as some Meguiar's discs in grits with more cut. Like 600, 1500, and 2000.
    And I have been using my Milwaukee 18volt drill to spin them.
    In the future I will try and get, or make, an adapter so I can use one of my rotaries for headlight polishing.
    The Milwaukee gets really hot if the headlights are really bad and I have to sand for more than 10 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    I have had great luck with the 3" backing plate that comes in the 3M headlight Kit. Then I just ordered a few boxes of Trizact sanding discs, as well as some Meguiar's discs in grits with more cut. Like 600, 1500, and 2000.
    In the future I will try and get, or make, an adapter so I can use one of my rotaries for headlight polishing.
    The Milwaukee gets really hot if the headlights are really bad and I have to sand for more than 10 minutes.
    Where did you pick up the trizact discs? Direct fit? Would be a nice tool to have in the toolbox, thats for sure

(Is this the 3M kit you're referring to? 3M 39008 - Headlight Lens Restoration System | O'Reilly Auto Parts )

Post Thanks / Like

I could get the 3M kit, which would be cheaper than the backing plate for the GG6, but then I would just have to lug around another power tool. I would like to keep the tools to a minimum.

My plan of attack is to get the following for my GG6:

Meg's Unigrit 3" Backing Plate

3" Foam Interface Pad

Those, and some 3" hook & loop sanding discs, and I should be in business right? Is there any reason not to use the GG6 for this?

Also, why can't I just use my current 3" backplate with the foam interface pad? Heat? Does the Megs Unigrit "flex"?

Open to all suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

I think I am going to go with the Flex Foam HD 3" Backing PLate.

I have the fitting, as I am using a 3" rotary backing plate on the GG6 now.

Between that and the interface pad, that should be plenty of "flex" for sanding the headlights

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    Ditto on that note... my porter cable hates doing lights. I'm afraid I'm eating into battery life. I bought a 1/4" pneumatic angle die grinder. It works really well with the 3M backing plate.