autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting rid of micro marring

Was working on my brothers heavily swirled black 04 Lexus IS300 this weekend and noticed there was a lot of little micro swirls on the finish still if I looked real close with the Brinkman. Ultimately I had to step up with a LC Cyan Hyrdo pad and M105 to get most of the swirls off. That left a nice little haze, but was able to get it finished down with a LC Green CCS pad and M205. And even still, I could still a little micro marring on the finish. Is there a intermediate compound I should use between M105 and M205 or is there another pad combination I should use?

Also, it seemed that Lexus is using a single stage paint on the blacks? My pads came out black.

Post Thanks / Like
    What it sounds like to me, and I'm no pro so if im wrong others please feel free to correct me, but what it sounds like is that you are going from one end to the other with no in between pad. Try finishing down with a white lc pad and m205. I believe the green pad is for AIO with light cutting ability.
    Last edited by alko; 02-06-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting rid of micro marring

lexus clear is also pretty soft so polishes with dimishing abrasives finish down nicer than 205.

Try some Menz 106FA or 85RD on a white flat polishing or black flat pad for a flawless finish on lexus black

lexus also uses tinted clear on black which is why you are getting colour. If it really were single stage, your pads would be coal black, not just a little black...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest adding a medium polish like Mmenzerna Power Finish or Meguiar's Ultimate Compound in between the compounding and finishing polishes. More importantly then that though, I would finish off with a lighter pad like a LC Black or White pad. Additionally you could add one more step such as Menzerna P085RD to really provide a haze/marr free finish. A lot of people have had great luck with P085RD on paints that marr easily. Good luck and let us know what works!

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn