autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Defroster musty smell

Quote Originally Posted by Robert8194 View Post
    Have you had any problems with the extreme heat? I am concerned about melting the plastic vents. My steamer is putting out 192c. (378 F.) and I wonder if10 minutes at that temp is safe. What steamer are you using?
    Dang, that's like 13 atm of steamy delight! I wouldn't let that beast touch anything less than high temperature plastics. Like silicone or nylon kitchen cookware. Just sayin'

Post Thanks / Like

There is a product called Ozium it's available at wally world around 4 bucks.

Spray into vents let sit for about 30mins.....then fire up the vehical let blower run wide open
    bout 15mins per setting on the heat control and a/c settings order will be gone.

leave windows open some while doing this.

It works for me.....used this stuff for many years with great success.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

I had not thought about the steam hurting the plastic. I use my VX 5000 with the small head inserted past the vent grill into the center of the ducts. I have used it 3 or 4 times on problem vehicles. I am not a detailer.

A friend ownes a Toyota Prius Hybrid. The cabin air filter is mounted in a way that allows mice to gain access to the outside of the filter. The mice tear a hole in the filter and move in to deliver their babies. They piss in their bed.

After trying over 2 dozen odor removal chemicals with no joy, we steamed it and ended the problem.

I have also used it several times to remove the cigar smoke, damp musty smell from the vents from other vehicles.

How hot do the ducts get from the heat of the heater?
    Regards,
    Mike Stephenson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    There is a product called Ozium it's available at wally world around 4 bucks.

Spray into vents let sit for about 30mins.....then fire up the vehical let blower run wide open
    bout 15mins per setting on the heat control and a/c settings order will be gone.

leave windows open some while doing this.

It works for me.....used this stuff for many years with great success.
    Man this is some powerful and concentrated stuff. One needs to be careful with Ozium; can nearly take your breath away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rix6 View Post
    Dang, that's like 13 atm of steamy delight! I wouldn't let that beast touch anything less than high temperature plastics. Like silicone or nylon kitchen cookware. Just sayin'
    It's the Dupray Hill Injection and it is one mean steamer. I used the VX 5000 and it took the coating off of some plastic. Got me gun shy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by photoadjuster View Post
    I had not thought about the steam hurting the plastic. I use my VX 5000 with the small head inserted past the vent grill into the center of the ducts. I have used it 3 or 4 times on problem vehicles. I am not a detailer.

A friend ownes a Toyota Prius Hybrid. The cabin air filter is mounted in a way that allows mice to gain access to the outside of the filter. The mice tear a hole in the filter and move in to deliver their babies. They piss in their bed.

After trying over 2 dozen odor removal chemicals with no joy, we steamed it and ended the problem.

I have also used it several times to remove the cigar smoke, damp musty smell from the vents from other vehicles.

How hot do the ducts get from the heat of the heater?
    I have used the VX 5000 and put some steam in so it came out the other vents. The problem is that I'm not sure how hot the steam has to be to kill the bacteria in the vents that cause the odor vs. the heat the plastic can withstand. Mice? Good grief! I may try inserting the nozzle past the plastic. Great idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Man this is some powerful and concentrated stuff. One needs to be careful with Ozium; can nearly take your breath away.
    HA! your not supposed to huff it!!!! Altho I use it quite often so I guess i've become somewhat immuned to it!
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12