autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Spray wax and the place of spray wax

As like many of us I'm always tempted by trying new products. Damn detailing addiction! I have read good things about Optimum No Rinse and their spray wax

At the moment I'm a little unsure if I'm as keen on the ONR. Don't get me wrong I hear nothing good but I have enough detailers sprays and clay lubes to get me by for a long time and do a regular wash once a week as my car sits outside. Unless ONR is far superior to Megs Last Touch and Dodo Juice Born to be Slippery I might test this at a later date

I currently use DJ RMT as a spray wax and love how easy it is to use. I have also hear similar things about the application of Optimums spray wax with being able to buy in bulk being a huge drawcard

From what I have read Optimum spray wax has a much better durability then RMT. This leads me to asking two questions before going ahead with a purchase

How does the wow/pop factor of the paint compare to RMT?

The claims of how long it lasts (5 months) confuses me if there's still a place for a traditional paste wax (3-4 months). Does a traditional paste wax still have its place if using this product?

I would have thought a paste wax would be a lot more durable given its thickening agents and that its spread on the car is more thorough

Is their any other Optimum products which come highly recommended?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Spray wax and the place of spray wax

Everything Optimum makes is first class. I find the whole debate about spray wax durability irrelevant. They are being used in place of detail sprays these days so durability is not something I would base a decision on when it comes to spray waxes. I seriously doubt anybody uses them as their primary/only LSP. For my money I've not seen anything look better or be easier to use than Pinnacle XMT 360 spray wax. It will leave your paint like glass with a deep wet look.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I seriously doubt anybody uses them as their primary/only LSP.
    I believe people do use as a LSP. I think you may say it is not something people use as a LSP looking for extended durability.

Detail sprays - up to several weeks

Spray waxes - several weeks to several months depending on brand
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I have gone ahead and purchased some. Will use it as an either a monthly top-up or to get me by when I don;t have time to do use a paste wax

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for XMT 360 Spray Wax.

opie_7afe

i have used both xmt-360 and opt spray wax, both are really similar in terms of look and slickness, smell is very similar also! however in the durability department i don't know how it fairs yet durability being tested between the two, ill use the spray wax for a stand alone LSP if its a quick detail that don't want the car waxed or just an interior detail and a wash ill apply a spray wax does help add protection. however on my personal car i use it after a rinseless/standard wash to have that freshly waxed look and feel, i also use it to extend my current wax protection, i mainly use a sealant then 845 then top 845 with meg's m16 then a spray wax and really has a nice look. the opt spray wax should make you happy. as far as ONR goes i would get some, in all honesty i rarely do a standard wash to my car except maybe once a month. i mainly use waterless wash or rinseless wash to keep her clean. yesterday i tried out the duragloss rinseless with aquawax and man stuff works great, and adds that spray wax slickness to the paint when done so really is a great product, i would give that a try or the ONR, if you have any product to trade i have a opened but new 8oz bottle of ONR.(has more then a new bottle added the rest of another onr bottle in it so probably 9oz in the bottle). i prefer the DP rinseless over optimum even though i love opt products imo the dp is a step above the onr. then the DG rinseless is a few steps above the DP for me. if you want a 2oz sample of the DP or DG rinseless washes let me know and we can work something out!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt but I'm located in Australia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faulksy View Post
    How does the wow/pop factor of the paint compare to RMT?

Is their any other Optimum products which come highly recommended?
    I would say that RM (not Tropical) has a more blingy sealant look while OCW has "softer" and more natural wax look.

Also RM beads much better than OCW and I consider that a con because it leaves too much water on the car after a rinse.

Not the best comparison pics due to different lighting conditions, but here it goes. This is RM:

and this is OCW:

OID is also very good. Very easy to use and after OOS/OCW/OID the paint sheets water like nothing I've seen. It leaves the car almost dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pics Toni. It really does give me a good idea with your explanation. I applied some RMT a few weeks ago and agree with the bling and beading comment. Had rain overnight and surprised how much the RMT was still beading.

I have some OCW on the way and probably be my go to spray wax. Will use the RMT on rarer occasions like this month for a car show when I want more bling and durability is less of a concern.

After recommendations here I will get some ONR too on my next order. Will look at XMT but OCW appeals to me with being able to buy in bulk.

Considering there opti-bond or tire shine. Currently trailing some Chemical Guys clear gel but found it difficult to apply using a tire foam applicator.

Post Thanks / Like

About 3 months ago I put on the hood of a friend's Yukon FX Synwax and topped it with OSW. I did the rest of the car using another approach. I saw it about 2 weeks ago and it was still had strong beading. I am thinking she will have another 3 months or so based on my experience with both products thus far; time will tell. Thus far, I am surprised how well that combination is holding up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast