autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Orange peel?

Post Thanks / Like

Orange peel?

I know what orange peel is. My question is- How do you get orange peel? Is it self inflicted or

just inconsistencies in clear coat?
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Orange peel?

wikipedia-orange peel(effect). Hope this helps.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Orange peel is created during the painting process at the factory.

That is why there is so much hand and machine sanding and compounding involved in a show car paint job. Those paint jobs generally have many more steps during the painting process and quite a bit thicker total amount of paint involved. The paint job may consist of two primer coats that are then sanded perfectly smooth. Than a color base coat. Possibly a candy coat. Then maybe a tinted clear coat, plus three more coats of clear, clear coat. Then the final sanding and polishing takes place. And you end up with a perfectly flat, smooth, mirror finish.
    With many hundreds of hours involved in the prep, painting, and final sanding and polishing.
    And a final bill of Ten Thousand Dollars, or MORE!

I am pretty sure that almost all car manufacturers are painting their cars with dip tanks, robots, and thermal ovens for drying. There is NO SANDING or POLISHING done at all.
    There are a few manufacturers that do hand finish their cars. Roll Royce, maybe Bentley and Austin Martin. Possible even AMG, Lamborghini (but I live right around the corner from Lamborghini of Beverly Hills and the brand new cars I have seen coming off their trucks look pretty crappy for a $375,000 car), and a few others. But no bulk auto manufacturer spends one dime more than they have to to get the car out the door to the dealership.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to check a box on your next cars order sheet for two extra coats of clear? So you could so a proper job of completing the paint job yourself. I'd sure be glad to pay another few hundred to have 150 microns of clear. Instead of 20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow great response! And Lotus also hand paints their cars

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    Orange peel is created during the painting process at the factory.

That is why there is so much hand and machine sanding and compounding involved in a show car paint job. Those paint jobs generally have many more steps during the painting process and quite a bit thicker total amount of paint involved. The paint job may consist of two primer coats that are then sanded perfectly smooth. Than a color base coat. Possibly a candy coat. Then maybe a tinted clear coat, plus three more coats of clear, clear coat. Then the final sanding and polishing takes place. And you end up with a perfectly flat, smooth, mirror finish.
    With many hundreds of hours involved in the prep, painting, and final sanding and polishing.
    And a final bill of Ten Thousand Dollars, or MORE!

I am pretty sure that almost all car manufacturers are painting their cars with dip tanks, robots, and thermal ovens for drying. There is NO SANDING or POLISHING done at all.
    There are a few manufacturers that do hand finish their cars. Roll Royce, maybe Bentley and Austin Martin. Possible even AMG, Lamborghini (but I live right around the corner from Lamborghini of Beverly Hills and the brand new cars I have seen coming off their trucks look pretty crappy for a $375,000 car), and a few others. But no bulk auto manufacturer spends one dime more than they have to to get the car out the door to the dealership.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to check a box on your next cars order sheet for two extra coats of clear? So you could so a proper job of completing the paint job yourself. I'd sure be glad to pay another few hundred to have 150 microns of clear. Instead of 20.
    Thanks. That "clears" it up. I just had noticed after I did my first correction with a DA

that i could see some orange peel in areas and I was wondering if it was something I

did. Thanks again for the explanation.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey