autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Product for road salt?

Do any of you know of a product that is specifically to break down crystalized road salt? Or know of anything that will soften it up?

I usually just blast it loose with my pressure wash quickly. But, in the winter time...I don't like to pressure wash floor mats cause they won't dry off. If I give them back to the customer wet...they'll become a block of ice, ha.

So, I'm just wondering if there's something out there that sort softens the salt, so that it can be extracted out. Cause extracting out road salt doesn't really work, unless it's very light.

Anything for that??? If there's nothing...somebody should really create that. I would buy that stuff in bulk!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product for road salt?

how about hot white vinegar?

I've used it at 3:1 with hot water to get rid of salt stains in carpet. I just use my shop vac as I don't have an extractor
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm missing something...if you're willing to extract but not pressure wash...why don't you pressure wash and then extract the water out?

Post Thanks / Like

vinegar works fine - also, google SALTAWAY
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

I hear your problem Kris. I still powerwash matts once their soaked with APC and scrubbed. I let them drip dry a little and then vaccum each mat to get the rest of the water out.

I then hang them up and let them dry more while I'm detailing the rest of the car. Once I'm done with the car I go back over the matts again just to make sure I got all the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I guess I'm missing something...if you're willing to extract but not pressure wash...why don't you pressure wash and then extract the water out?
    Pressure washing the mats leaves them a lot more wet than the extractor does. Even if I follow up with the extractor...the soaking has already happened. It will take quite a while to dry them out.

If I could spray something to loosen the salt, then suck it up really quick with the extractor...it leaves a much less damp mat.

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    how about hot white vinegar?

I've used it at 3:1 with hot water to get rid of salt stains in carpet. I just use my shop vac as I don't have an extractor
    I've heard that, but my concern is the smell. No way am I giving a customer their vehicle back with the smell of vinegar, ha. Even if I extract it out, I can't imagine that smell wouldn't linger...but maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by DealerDetailer View Post
    I hear your problem Kris. I still powerwash matts once their soaked with APC and scrubbed. I let them drip dry a little and then vaccum each mat to get the rest of the water out.

I then hang them up and let them dry more while I'm detailing the rest of the car. Once I'm done with the car I go back over the matts again just to make sure I got all the water.
    Right. That's typically my process in the spring, summer, and fall. Hanging them outside in the sun isn't much of an option in the winter, ha.

That's why if there was just something I could spray, let sit, and extract...it would leave the mats much more likely to dry off by the time I'm done with the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I give my customers cheap paper mats. After extraction I cover back seats with same before stacking mats on top. I tell them in no uncertain terms to place inside of home to thoroughly dry if they do not want a sour smell.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

vinegar works fine - also, google SALTAWAY
    Seems promising, but the only issue is that they don't say whether it's safe to use on carpet. Says a lot of other materials, but not carpeting. They seem to cater to boats, or marine in general. Could be worth a shot though.

Maybe I'll try it on my own car first, ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    I give my customers cheap paper mats. After extraction I cover back seats with same before stacking mats on top. I tell them in no uncertain terms to place inside of home to thoroughly dry if they do not want a sour smell.
    I do the same thing. I plastic sheet cover the seat, and leave them with a temporary floor mat.

But, still...I'd like to avoid pressure washing their mats in the winter. Cause a lot of times I have no option but to pressure wash, and they pick up their vehicle while they're still wet.

I always let them know that they need to be dried off. If they left them with me...I could dry them off over night easily. But, most people don't want to bother with that, which is understandable.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had clients to return days or weeks later with the mats still on the back seat asking me to do over. No problem- it's on me!

My ocd will not allow me to not pressure wash mats unless instructed not to do so.
    VT
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast