autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Business owners: Have you trademarked your business name?

After being a member for not even close to a year, I see there are many catchy names as far as the auto detail businesses go.

Have any of you trademarked your Business name? I am sure it depends on the state you live in, but is it pretty straightforward to go about trade marking a name?

Maybe it took you countless hours/days/months/years of brainstorming for that perfect name. I know I would not want someone in another state to use my unique name. I am thinking about trade marking my name so any info will be appreciated. Once I get back from my trip I will do more thorough research.

Thanks!
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Business owners: Have you trademarked your business name?

There are different forms of protection. Trademarks, Service Marks, etc....

Trademarks Home

Post Thanks / Like

It really has nothing to do with the state. As far as most basic trademarks go...they are typically for the entire US, and all need to be approved by the USPTO.

It takes anywhere from about 3 months to a year to get approved. The application process isn't too bad. I used legalzoom to get mine going. It's currently processing with the USPTO.

The good thing is...that when you get it even into the processing stage, nobody can attempt to get theirs approved if its anything like yours. Even if they do, they would get declined because yours was presented first.

I can tell you...it's NOT cheap. It costed me around $500 all together. You need to provide certain things as well...especially if you are using it in commerce. They usually ask for examples of your logo, or name being used...such as business cards, brochures, website, etc.

I gave them different links to "deal" type sites I've done business with that used my logo, as well as a snap shot of my website. That was enough.

I feel trademarks are important...cause nobody can go behind your back, trademark a name you've been using for years...and all the sudden they have the rights to it, even though you have it registered with the state. It's actually amazing how simple it really is to steal a businesses name.

Most businesses are simply registered with the state, and they don't realize that really means nothing, and offers no protection. The only protection it offers is that nobody else can register that name in the state. BUT, if you are only registered and have been operating for 10 years under that name...then someone comes along who trademarked the name. Guess who has to drop the name?! Trademarks are above all state registrations. The state will not do a trademark search. If it's not used in the state...they'll give it to you regardless. Have to be careful!

Great thing about it as well...is that it's for the entire US. Nobody can have your name anywhere. I trademarked my logo, name, and slogan.

Make sure you do a trademark search before you apply. If your business gets declined...I don't believe they do refunds.

This is why I went with legalzoom...they do a search for you before submitting your application to the USPTO. They also made the application process a piece of cake. I did everything through email, didn't have to mail anything. They also know what the USPTO will be looking for...so they make sure everything is there, and ready to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Kris very informative thank you! I guess I still need more forms of proof for mine. I am getting my website and logos designed as we speak but the logos are still in their first concepts as of now.

So I should expect to pay around $500 eyy. I think that would be worth it. I really want to keep my name for the future. I am thinking of detailing on the side of my career job and then eventually open an actual shop, so I want my name to follow me.

Thanks for the legalzoom tip I might go there once I got the name established a bit more. If it’s a piece of cake I am all for it lol.

Once again thanks for all the info!
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you steadily proceeding forward. Have a safe and prosperous journey wherever you may roam.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if I can do my name?

Post Thanks / Like

If you guys want to search for current trademarks. Here's the link. That way you can know if yours is taken already...

Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rav777 View Post
    Wow Kris very informative thank you! I guess I still need more forms of proof for mine. I am getting my website and logos designed as we speak but the logos are still in their first concepts as of now.

So I should expect to pay around $500 eyy. I think that would be worth it. I really want to keep my name for the future. I am thinking of detailing on the side of my career job and then eventually open an actual shop, so I want my name to follow me.

Thanks for the legalzoom tip I might go there once I got the name established a bit more. If it’s a piece of cake I am all for it lol.

Once again thanks for all the info!
    No problem, man. I just recently went through the process, so it was a good time to ask, ha.

I just posted the link to search for trademarks. Check it out and see if your name is available.

If you find someone with a similar name, don't worry. If your type of business is different from theirs, it may still get approved. Legalzoom will most likely let you know before the app gets put in with the USPTO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    Good to see you steadily proceeding forward. Have a safe and prosperous journey wherever you may roam.
    Thank you Vegas really appreciate it! It does feel nice to be moving forward, and see the business going somewhere. Just going to take it easy and make sure I don’t skip any steps.

Thanks for the links Kris! Little off topic but did you ever end up picking up that Kranzle pressure washer? I am still thinking of getting one pretty soon!
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rav777 View Post
    Thank you Vegas really appreciate it! It does feel nice to be moving forward, and see the business going somewhere. Just going to take it easy and make sure I don’t skip any steps.

Thanks for the links Kris! Little off topic but did you ever end up picking up that Kranzle pressure washer? I am still thinking of getting one pretty soon!
    No, not yet. I do want to get one though. Winter is making me think twice, haha. I'll probably run a Couptopia deal (just like LivingSocial) in the spring. That will give me a good sized check. I'll use part of it to upgrade my equipment.

I need the Kranzle. I also need a larger Mytee for the shop. I have the Mytee Lite II, which is a great extractor. But, I was an idiot and bought the Aztec, which ended up being junk. So I want to use the Mytee Lite II in the van, and get the HP-100 for the shop.

Movin on up!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast