autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not new to detailing, but need help with Orbital buffers and high end products.

I am 19 and I have been a car enthusiast for quite some time now. I have always taken care of my car and wash and wax them. Well my baby, my 2008 Grabber Orange Mustang, has swirl marks. I am looking into getting myself a Porter Cable 7424 to remove them. I need help though. I was thinking about ordering the one that comes with 5 pads. Remember I am new to this. I need help choosing pads and products. Here are some bullets.

What 5 pads should I get? (They will be used for removing swirl marks, polishing, and waxing)

What products should I use? I currently use Meguiars?(What I can find locally) I don't mind spending money, but I dont want to spend $50 on a wax...

Also in order to do a full body detail what do I need? I have always washed with Dawn to strip the wax, wash again with car wash, claybar the car, cleaner wax, and then gold class or NXT gen.

Thanks! Im sure I will have many more ?'s

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not new to detailing, but need help with Orbital buffers and high end products.

You want to make sure the pads are 5.5" if you get the PC. I think some of the kits come with 6.5" pads.

Maybe two orange, and either two white or two black, and one whatever color is for waxing (blue/red?). Depends on what products you will use.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not new to detailing, but need help with Orbital buffers and high end products.

I would suggest that you get the Griots DA polisher instead of the Porter Cable. There are many reasons for this but the main 3 are

- It vibrates WAY less, and doesnt cause your hand to go numb.
    - It has WAY more power and you will not need to go above speed 5
    - Lifetime Warranty !

As for polish's, I like to make life VERY easy with a simple 2 step procedure that has worked on every single car I have corrected.

***Compound and matching pad***
    - Meg's Microfiber DA correction compound - 16oz is more than enough
    Meguiars Microfiber Correction Compound, polishing compound, paint correction

- Meg's Microfiber cutting pad - I suggest 4 pads in total
    Meguiars DA Microfiber Cutting Discs, compounding discs, cutting pads

- Meg's Backing plate for 5" pads - required IMO as it has very light Hook and Loop material that is easier on pads
    Meguiars Mirror Glaze W67DA G110 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate

***Finishing Polish and Pads***
    - Menzerna Super Finish- 16oz - Works EVERYTIME for me. Super easy to use, impossible to mess up, finish's super clear. works well in all sorts of temp's and conditions
    Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106 FA, Menzerna Final Polish, Nano abrasives, finishing polish, professional polish

- Lake Country Black Finishing Pads - These will clean up any trace of compounding haze and even light swirls when teamed up with Menzerna Super finish.
    Black Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad

6 pack
    Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads

--------------------------

My personal suggestions. Dont waste your time buying 5 different color pads. With todays polishing compounds and process's there is no need for an enthusiast detailer to have a million products. You will only waste money and confuse yourself. Is there a million ways to skin a cat ? yes, but there are solid , proven process's where life is made simple.

I highly suggest you use 5.5" pads and matching backing plates. Avoid the 6.5" pads as they are not as effective with a DA polisher for correction.

I will not suggest a wax or sealant as there are so many different options that all work very well.

I once spent a ton of money on buying all different polish's and pads, polishers, and wax's. While everyone's suggestions were great, I realized I wasted a TON of money and only confused myself. Try to keep things simple. If you do not need a 5 step process, avoid it. most DD and even show cars can be polished out in 2 or even 1 step. If you make things a huge process you will likely wear yourself out and detailing will become a dreadful process and you will likely loss interest fast.

-------------------------------

Check this video out. I only use the compound as I prefer my own finishing polish without wax. But the video shows how simple the compounding step is. And how clear it finish's out when used correctly.

Autogeek.net - New Meguiars Microfiber DA System - YouTube
    Last edited by mg6045; 01-22-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Since on the topic, I mentioned polishing in 1 step.

I have an 11" Audi with a very hard clear coat. I can actually polish this car out in 1 step and remove swirls and finish really clear. My process for doing so consists of these products.

Like I mentioned earlier, if you can do it in 1 step, go for it. Dont make things more complicated than they need to be. There are other 1 step polish's that I hear work great, but this is a process that has again, never let me down and has worked on a wide variety of hard and soft clear coats.

***Polish***
    - Menzerna Power Finish
    Menzerna Power Finish PO 203, one step polish, swirl remover, finishing polish, car polish, german car polish, menzerna polishing compounds, power

***Pad***
    Lake Country White pad
    Menzerna Power Finish PO 203, one step polish, swirl remover, finishing polish, car polish, german car polish, menzerna polishing compounds, power

I can do the entire car using 4 pads in total.

I have used this polish with an orange pad as well. but it may not finish out with super clear like it will with a white pad. On a hard clear coat, can use the orange pad and finish of satisfied.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow thank you both for the help. I will have to take it in, and figure out exactly what I will be doing. I would like to get some others inputs as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Get anything but a PC. G110V2 has worked great for me. In addition just get Meguiars Microfiber System which includes D300, D301, Backing plate (short loop)
    Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit
    Mark

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow this is a lot to take in. So I can use the Menzerna Power finish and then a sealent and then maybe a wax?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also why buy the Griots if I will have to change the backing plate in order to get the right size pads? Is the meguiars better than the PC?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2008Mustang4.0 View Post
    Wow this is a lot to take in. So I can use the Menzerna Power finish and then a sealent and then maybe a wax?
    Hello,

Menzerna Power Finish is a nice product but you might find you'll need to finish polishing with something a bit finer like Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA.

For sealants Menzerna Power Lock is a great sealant and here's a list of additional quality products...

Sealants

Wax

Here's some great information that will help you if you need it.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2008Mustang4.0 View Post
    Also in order to do a full body detail what do I need? I have always washed with Dawn to strip the wax, wash again with car wash, claybar the car, cleaner wax, and then gold class or NXT gen.
    IMO it's important to understand the process before you get to the products. In your process, you are washing the car twice in a row for no apparent reason, and then using two very similar "wax" products in a row. Bear in mind the Meguiar's 5-Step process, or this: Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

You want to wash/clean to remove gross soil. Then clay to remove bonded contaminants. Then use a paint cleaner to remove below-surface contaminants, or the appropriate compound/swirl remover(s) if you have swirls. Then you want to protect with a sealant and a wax or both.

Quote Originally Posted by mark58 View Post
    Get anything but a PC. G110V2 has worked great for me. In addition just get Meguiars Microfiber System which includes D300, D301, Backing plate (short loop)
    Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit
    This is a really good suggestion if you are feeling overwhelmed and since you like Meguiar's. You can top the 301 with a wax like #26. Just make sure to get some extra pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast