autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Optima steamer...

Don't know if you guys know about this thing. But, I've been looking into buying one to use for mobile, and also in the winter at my shop.

If you've done any research on these...they are basically just HUGE steamers. They seem to make their bread and butter on selling it as a wash unit for vehicles.

I can absolutely see this working for me, as I wouldn't have to carry around a water tank, or worry about water containment.

Plus, in the winter...I don't have to wash vehicles outside. I can do a thorough steam cleaning indoors. This thing has that kind of power.

So, I couldn't find any pricing on the steamer on the website. I emailed the company and asked for a price quote. They in turn sent me a questionnaire asking me to answer some questions before they give me a price quote. I thought this was kind of strange.

I answered the questions, and stressed that I just want a price. They sent me a "temporary price quote". The machines are $5,600!! I thought I was going to see at least $2000. But $5,600?! That's not shipping included either. These units are not small...so I can only imagine the shipping cost too.

Anyone actually have one of these??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optima steamer...

Tom aka Shinetimedetail, bought one of these. You should probably PM him if you have any questions.

He posted this last month.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...check-out.html
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I would not use this on a car I cared about with this steamer and a soft microfiber towel alone, as shown on the video on their website. Sure, I would use it to loosen grime on engines or wheels, and clean interiors, but as far as paint is concerned, where is the lubricity to prevent marring? A car wash detergent provides this. This might be eco- friendly, but I can't see it as friendly to sensitive paint.

Another thing to consider is that you can't just use tap water in a steam cleaner. You need to use distilled. If you do not, the minerals contained in the non distilled water will be caused to deposit inside of the until as a result of the process of converting the water into steam. This will damage the unit, basically making it inoperable. The minerals will clog it up inside.

You will also probably use a lot more microfiber towels to clean the exterior of a car with this than you would if rinsed the dirt off with a conventional wash. Then you need to carry a lot of towels and wash a lot of towels later.
    Last edited by Blackthorn One; 01-12-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn One View Post
    I would not use this on a car I cared about with this steamer and a soft microfiber towel alone, as shown on the video on their website. Sure, I would use it to loosen grime on engines or wheels, and clean interiors, but as far as paint is concerned, where is the lubricity to prevent marring? A car wash detergent provides this. This might be eco- friendly, but I can't see it as friendly to sensitive paint.

Another thing to consider is that you can't just use tap water in a steam cleaner. You need to use distilled. If you do not, the minerals contained in the non distilled water will be caused to deposit inside of the until as a result of the process of converting the water into steam. This will damage the unit, basically making it inoperable. The minerals will clog it up inside.

You will also probably use a lot more microfiber towels to clean the exterior of a car with this than you would if rinsed the dirt off with a conventional wash. Then you need to carry a lot of towels and wash a lot of towels later.
    Plus it costs $5,600, haha. Good points though...makes sense.

I was thinking the same thing too. It's pretty much just like spraying water and wiping. Not good for paint. I don't think anyone would argue that.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

theres got to be a cheaper system available..

$5K plus is steep!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mesto View Post
    theres got to be a cheaper system available..

$5K plus is steep!
    I agree.

Post Thanks / Like

This guy seems to be on to something. He uses a waterless wash to wipe the panel down. This makes a LOT of sense. I do believe the steamer he's using is made in the USA as well. Another plus.

NB 2300 rinsing salt and washing car - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

I just had optima steamers friend me on facebook. I looked into it but the unit just seems way to big for my set up.

The link you just posted seems more in the ball park of a serious detailer. The steam will loosen everything up and then waterless wash would work well after.

The steamer route is definitely something to consider being in New England...have to worry about those cold days. Of course this year hasn't been bad at all! I'm still operating and haven't had to worry much about the freezing weather.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the nb2300 is made in china, ask Kevin about it.
    You need a dedicated 18amp outlet to use this steamer.
    but the size, non-boiler and the price seems good, it can fit in my Yaris too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    I just had optima steamers friend me on facebook. I looked into it but the unit just seems way to big for my set up.

The link you just posted seems more in the ball park of a serious detailer. The steam will loosen everything up and then waterless wash would work well after.

The steamer route is definitely something to consider being in New England...have to worry about those cold days. Of course this year hasn't been bad at all! I'm still operating and haven't had to worry much about the freezing weather.
    Yeah, we seriously haven't had a winter until today, lol.

That's why I want one, for those cold winter days. Being able to wash inside would be unbelievable! A lot of times I do the two bucket wash inside with ONR. But, that leaves the floor a little wet...and I'm not a fan of a rinseless wash.

I think doing a waterless wash does OK. But, it doesn't push dirt and grime out of crevices, and a steam cleaner like that would.

I emailed the guy who sells them, and he said he's out of the NB2300. Which is the one in the video. He asked what I'd be doing with it, and that he might have another machine very similar that will work. Still waiting on his reply...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast