autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optima steamer...

Quote Originally Posted by toycar18 View Post
    Wax starts to break down at about 100F. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed some wax...
    Probably so. However, if you live in a place where water freezes, and you have to do a waterless wash, I think a steam cleaner is your best option in conjunction with that. Plus, you could just use one to clean nooks and crannies when using a waterless wash in warmer areas. I live in CA, so water freezing isn't a problem for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slickooz View Post
    Tom aka Shinetimedetail, bought one of these. You should probably PM him if you have any questions.

He posted this last month.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...check-out.html
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    This guy seems to be on to something. He uses a waterless wash to wipe the panel down. This makes a LOT of sense. I do believe the steamer he's using is made in the USA as well. Another plus.

NB 2300 rinsing salt and washing car - YouTube
    Good idea but possibly some less than best technique. He seems to wipe with a lot of pressure and with the dirt you can clearly see in the towel there could be marring.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwgreen6 View Post
    Has anyone considered the Daimer Super Max 6000? It's a propane heated high pressure (750 psi) steamer. It'll spray cold water, hot water or wet steam. The video on Daimer's website states a wet steam is preferable to dry steam when using it on exterior surfaces. The additional water content acts as the lubricating agent, thus preventing scratches when washing a car (their words, not mine).

The Super Max line made in the good ole' USA and also costs around $5200, which puts it in the same class as the South Korean Optima steamer. The Optima is diesel heated and is ready to go in 2 minutes; the Super Max is ready in as few as 30 seconds.

The Optima's operating pressure is around 120 psi and can be used with two spray nozzles so one can work the exterior while the other person works the interior. I've heard Renny Doyle say that high pressure steamers are not necessary as they can cause damage where lower pressure steamers don't. Is 750+ psi really necessary?

FWIW -- I think the NB2300 steamer is around $3500. I find this unit very interesting.

I like the idea of using steam for total detailing. Very little runoff, doesn't use a lot of water, versatile and effective. Eventually I'll migrate towards a Super Max/Optima type system and go *green* (like the folding kind, eh?).
    Daimer products seem to be really nice. I have the smaller Daimer steamer and this thing is really well made and pretty amazing. Sadly I'm considering selling it 'cause I need a hot water extractor more than a steamer.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used my Steamer in over 6 months for an exterior...All I use it for today is for blowing out vents, between the seats, cup holders, door panels....and that's about it. I'm about to sell it and buy a 80 gal 150 psi compressor and a new tornador. Then I'll bust my old VX5000 out and still have money to spend lol

I just haven't mastered the science of using this machine and not marring the paint on some cars...Plus it takes prob twice as long as a traditional wash....I guess I'm just a traditional guy....I don't even like rinsless or waterless washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    Don't know if you guys know about this thing. But, I've been looking into buying one to use for mobile, and also in the winter at my shop.

If you've done any research on these...they are basically just HUGE steamers. They seem to make their bread and butter on selling it as a wash unit for vehicles.

I can absolutely see this working for me, as I wouldn't have to carry around a water tank, or worry about water containment.

Plus, in the winter...I don't have to wash vehicles outside. I can do a thorough steam cleaning indoors. This thing has that kind of power.

So, I couldn't find any pricing on the steamer on the website. I emailed the company and asked for a price quote. They in turn sent me a questionnaire asking me to answer some questions before they give me a price quote. I thought this was kind of strange.

I answered the questions, and stressed that I just want a price. They sent me a "temporary price quote". The machines are $5,600!! I thought I was going to see at least $2000. But $5,600?! That's not shipping included either. These units are not small...so I can only imagine the shipping cost too.

Anyone actually have one of these??
    I have one they shipped mine for free it's not that much I am actually selling my back up if you're still interested

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineTimeDetail View Post

I just haven't mastered the science of using this machine and not marring the paint on some cars...Plus it takes prob twice as long as a traditional wash....I guess I'm just a traditional guy....I don't even like rinseless or waterless washes.
    I think that's because it's impossible not to mar some paints using just steam and a towel to clean them with. Traditional washes are the best and always will be, IMO, however, sometimes the WW can be a time saver. For easier removal of embedded grime, I think a steam cleaner is an extremely useful tool. Admittedly, you don't need one most of the time, though, especially on regularly maintained vehicles. Unless you use it for interior spills that happen occaisonally in client's cars that they want taken care of right away, I can see how you would never need a steam cleaner doing only high end or well maintained cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think I got over the whole steamer thing a while ago, ha. Haven't even thought about getting one. It was mainly just something I wanted to use for indoor washes in the winter. Since then I've gotten the heat on my pressure washer fixed. So, I'll just blast them with hot water outside, and probably finish up with a waterless wash indoors.

My new thing lately is getting a MUCH better website made. That is in the works right now as we speak. Can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm selling mine let me know if your still looking

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Royaldetail View Post
    I'm selling mine let me know if your still looking
    Why you selling it? How much?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast