autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First time w/ Menzerna - Lots of Dust

Hey guys, I'm a hobbyist, this weekend I started doing minor swirl removal and correction on my black 08 Mercedes.

I've got a Porter Cable DA with Edge pads. This was my first time using Menzerna products and I experienced a LOT of dust.

My process was fairly simple (and definitely open to critique, even if it has nothing to do w/ the dusting)

- Clay Bar
    - Menzerna Super Intensive polish with a Green pad
    - Menzerna Micro Polish (85RD i think??) with a Blue pad
    - Meguiars #20 with a white pad
    - Poor Boys Blue Liquid Wax

I usually do a compound coat of the poly seal (apply one coat, cure it 30 mins, apply a 2nd without wiping the first, then buff off both after curing).

I also used a Yellow pad with the SIP for a few specific problem areas.

I'm very happy with the results, I've got about half the car done this weekend. Two adjacent panels tell the story completely -- the car looks nearly 2 different colors, mostly due to hazing than swirls as I'm a fairly careful car washer.

But god DANG I had dust issues -- especially with the Super Intensive Polish.

Is this the nature of the product or did I over-work it? I certainly tried to keep my eye out for flashing to know when to stop but to be honest it's a little hard for an untrained eye. The coat of polish is so thin that going from opaque to clear isn't terribly noticeable. So it's possible I did over-work it.

Generally I moved quite slow across the paint surface. I'd apply enough pressure to slow down the rotation and used that as a gauge of my pressure, and when I did that the orbit of the machine kind of pulled it acorss the paint, half inch every couple seconds maybe, and for the most part that's the pace I kept.

Any tips on getting an even better result with this product, and any suggestions on reducing the dust?

Thanks!
    Shane

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time w/ Menzerna - Lots of Dust

I remember reading on here that Menzerna polishes dust more with DA polishers compared to rotary buffers. Cleaning your pad frequently and using a pad lubricant can also reduce dusting.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

SIP will dust a bit no matter what, but if it's dusting that bad you are probably over working it. I would try to cut back on the passes and see if you still get the correction you are after.

Post Thanks / Like

S60R -- Beautiful car. Had an 03 T5 until it was paid off and I went into the Mercedes family.

Would definitely consider another Volvo -- they're fantastic cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! That's my name too!

Did you clean your pads at all? Did you use only one pad or did you switch to a fresh pad when the old ones got saturated? Either one of those issues will cause major dusting.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience SIP is the most dusting compound I ever used. I would say that what you experienced is normal for that specific compound. I love Menzerna, especially the PO85 RD which if you used you shouldn't have any dusting issues .

There are other products that you could use in terms of a compound. I thought to give a try to the Optimum Hyper Compound but I havent used it yet to give you a solid opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I was fairly sure the dusting came from the SIP but obviously using one right after the other, it was hard to be sure how much the micro polish was responsible.

Thanks for weighing-in.

Post Thanks / Like

SIP, in my mind at least, is more of a medium polish than a compound. It can get out some pretty nasty stuff, but I don't think of it as a true compound like M105, Powergloss and so on.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, if you are getting a lot of dust with SIP, you are using too much product. I hardly ever have SIP dust. I spray the pad with Pinnacle pad conditioner or something similar then only use 2 or 3 pea sized drops. I also only prime the pad very lightly. Keeping the pad clean between each section is also very important to help prevent dusting.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Really? That little? For how big of a section? What are we talking here for the "2 or 3 pea sized drops"? 2x2?

Obviously less product is easy all the way around if I am indeed using too much.

Usually, for a 2x2, I tend to make a circle on the pad with like a 1" to 2" diameter. So definitely more than 2 or 3 pea sized drops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast