autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What is a good pad and polish combo for RV’s?

I have done some of my families RV’s, but I want to see what some of you guys use as far as products and pads when it comes to motor homes. I want to add RV polish, correction, and wax packages, but I want to experiment with different combos and set up a good arsenal to tackle the average RV’s.

So what do you guys use or prefer when it comes to polishing your own RV or your customers RV’s? Is it necessary to use wool pads as well or should I save this for really oxidized paints? Should I also use special coatings as far as sealants or will car sealants work just as well?

Any help will be appreciated. I am going to practice on my families and friends RV’s as well as toy boxes so I can get enough practice before summer comes around (Have some customers interested). In the meantime I want to see what most of you have been using and I will try to build a process this way I am ready to tackle the job.

Thank you!
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is a good pad and polish combo for RV’s?

The only RVs that I have done have been very chalky oxidized and were gel coat. In my experience a wool pad was necessary combined with a heavy compound like Mothers Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound or even 3M Super Duty if the gel coat is rough enough. I use rotary with a 3M Superbuff 2+2 9 inch pad for the cutting and do a rotary polishing step with a foam polishing pad and something like Poorboys SSR2 or M-205. I use UPGP with good success on gel coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    For decent condition rv's duragloss 501 and a polishing pad will do most of your customers, if they are in bad shape I use menzerna power gloss followed by 501. FYI never take a job if the sides of the rv look like painted tin roofing, this means not only is it old but you'll be there 3-4 days trying to polishing it lol
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

For me, I'm a BIG fan of Megs 'Power-Cut Compound' and their 'One Step Compound' for the heavy duty stuff. I use a DA with yellow and orange LC pads.

A rotary with a 'wool pad' is the normal artillery, but age along with being up on a ladder (or even a scaffold) kinda forces me to use the DA.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies you guys. And sorry ahead of time for all of the questions I just really want to make sure I cover all of my bases

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    The only RVs that I have done have been very chalky oxidized and were gel coat. In my experience a wool pad was necessary combined with a heavy compound like Mothers Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound or even 3M Super Duty if the gel coat is rough enough. I use rotary with a 3M Superbuff 2+2 9 inch pad for the cutting and do a rotary polishing step with a foam polishing pad and something like Poorboys SSR2 or M-205. I use UPGP with good success on gel coat.
    Thanks for the reply Dave!

So are most RV's coated with Gel coats? And if they are not is there a way to tell if they have some sort of coating applied?

I have seen most people start off with wool pads, are these too aggresive to start with? Not sure if RV paint is prone to holograms like cars, I would assume a less aggresive polishing step would follow after wool?

The good thing is that these RV's have been kept pretty clean. They still have some shine on them but they do have the potential to get more shine out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfections View Post
    For decent condition rv's duragloss 501 and a polishing pad will do most of your customers, if they are in bad shape I use menzerna power gloss followed by 501. FYI never take a job if the sides of the rv look like painted tin roofing, this means not only is it old but you'll be there 3-4 days trying to polishing it lol
    I have seen those tin looking RV's and I will definately stay away from them. Those things would be a real pain to do. Are you using a rotary? If so I am assuming you are using pads bigger than 6" inches right? Any luck with wool pads?

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    For me, I'm a BIG fan of Megs 'Power-Cut Compound' and their 'One Step Compound' for the heavy duty stuff. I use a DA with yellow and orange LC pads.

A rotary with a 'wool pad' is the normal artillery, but age along with being up on a ladder (or even a scaffold) kinda forces me to use the DA.

Bill
    Thanks for the reply Bill, and that is cool that you are able to use a DA. Are you still able to spin larger pads with the DA?

I believe It was the Megs power cut compound someone told me about for RV's, I will research all the ones mentioned.
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

I've only done one, and I used Megs D151 and a LC white pad with a Flex. I tried it with a LC HT Cyan pad and it left what looked like swirl marks behind. Granted, i was going quickly, but I do not think more time would have helped dramatically. The condition of the paint was pretty decent the begin with and this combo pulled off the oxidation quickly and left a nice shine behind. I did it again 6 months later and the condition was obviously a little better, but used the same combo again:

Post Thanks / Like

I've done mine a number of times. It was chalky at first so I settled on black wool/compound. Next was DG 501/orange. The rest of the time I used blue wool/compound; DG 501.
    Just the nature of the gel coat on motorhomes seem to make it tough to get the consistent even deep shine of auto paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I only use wool on really neglected finishes, usually I'm using flex da orange pad with 501 or if the coats in good shape white pad with duragloss 105
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

Gelcoat Labs has a nice one step product. Works real well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rav777 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Dave!

So are most RV's coated with Gel coats? And if they are not is there a way to tell if they have some sort of coating applied?

I have seen most people start off with wool pads, are these too aggresive to start with? Not sure if RV paint is prone to holograms like cars, I would assume a less aggresive polishing step would follow after wool?
    I have only seen 2 types of RVs, 1. gel coat and 2. the tin type that someone here warned about being a pain in the rear end. (I second that notion)

Treat them just as anything else and do a test section starting with the least aggressive method first. Dial in your process and have at it. Don't be surprised if your tested method don't cut it in all areas of the gel coat as sometimes an RV will sit with one side being tortured by the sun all day for years on end. This side or area may require a more intense method of correction. I'd think an RV owner (if they knew better) should rotate the parking position of the RV from time to time so that the sun beats on both sides instead of just one side at a time but I guess that would be for another thread.

Oh yeah, the wool pads will instill holograms in gel coat too so a followup step should be used after using a wool pad but depending on product selection and technique, with practice, you can eliminate the holograms instilled by the wool pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast