autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

step stool,platform or scaffolding to reach taller vehicles

Step Stools, Platforms or Scaffolding to reach taller vehicles

I detailed my first vehicle last week and now have some thoughts on how I would like to make next time a bit easier since this is a tall 4x4 pickup. I used a step ladder last week and was thankful to have it but I always was worried I would push it out from under me or end up having it in the door when reaching out with the D/A Polisher to do the roof. This truck is a crew cab so I could only reach the rear half of the cab from the bed.

I have searched the net high and low for options and think these three items may be reasonable choices for tall vehicles and was wanting your thoughts? I have considered purchasing two of whatever I decide on to have one on each side of the car and to avoid dragging it back and forth. I am 5'8" tall and even though the 21" tall werner platform might work for me for this vehicle I was wanting one with just a bit more adjustment. Notice all of these go above the standard 21" height seen on so many units. Stability and ease of getting on and climbing off are important.Being able to store and move the units is important as well.

All thoughts are appreciated whether they are for these products or others.

1) Griots Garage Portable Detailing Platform and Workbench $169.00
    Portable Detailing Platform & Workbench - Griot's Garage

2)Cosco 3 step step stool 11003abl1 300lb limit $174.41 have seen for $30-40 less at other places.
    Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

3) Perry step up scaffolding 5' 600 lb capacity. $323.00 can be purchased for appx. 50% preowned.
    Step Up Scaffold - Scaffolding, Step-Up Scaffolding from Scaffolding Depot
    Last edited by silvermesa; 01-04-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: extra info

Mike Phillips

Re: step stool,platform or scaffolding to reach taller vehicles

For most rigs something the height of the Griot's Garage unit would be more than enough, for taller vehicle, the Perry Unit looks pretty good...

The ladder/step stool works but not as good as some type of platform you can walk from side to side on. A platform style will enable you to reach more of the high surfaces without having to continually get up and down to move it along the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Of the three the Griot's looks the best...I have the Werner platform and its works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

You may be interested in this one..

4 ft. x 4 ft. x 2 ft. Roll and Fold Mini Scaffolding-GSM4B at The Home Depot

step stool,platform or scaffolding to reach taller vehicles-bcf2f7a5-66bd-4885-912a-2fb18a114734_300-jpg

The Pro-Series 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 2 ft. Roll and Fold Mini Scaffolding is a versatile work platform, ideal for many uses and applications. Folding down to 4 in. for easy storage, it can also be used as shelving or a platform cart for moving items. The 4 swivel-locking casters offer easy mobility but lock in place for a secure foundation. With 2 adjustable height deck boards, this scaffolding gives you 4 different height positions. The galvanized steel construction and powder-coat finish provide weather-resistant strength and durability.
    • Galvanized steel with a powder-coat finish to provide strength and durability
    • 500 lb. Working load capacity allows for 250 lb. Per platform
    • 2 Adjustable height deck boards allow for 4 different height positions
    • 4 Swivel-locking casters provide easy mobility and secure foundation when locked
    • Folds down to 4 in. for easy storage when not in use
    • Non-slip finish helps to keep your feet stable as you work
    • Weather resistant for use interior and exterior use
    • Included ladder provides easy access to the scaffolding and guard rails provide extended support
    • Osha certified
    • MFG Brand Name : PRO-SERIES
    • MFG Model # : GSM4B
    • MFG Part # : GSM4B
    $79.97 free shipping to store location
    "I see your lips moving but you ain't saying anything!"
    02 Chevy Tahoe Southern Comfort
    99 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the Werner but the Griots is on my wish list. The Griots has the adjustable legs that gives you that little extra for those raised 4x4's. I'm 5'11" and the Werner is just a little too short to reach the center roof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FourEyes45 View Post
    Of the three the Griot's looks the best...I have the Werner platform and its works for me.
    Werner platform worked great for me. Used it to wash/detail my fiance's RX350.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Super Member Pockets@PoorboysWorld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We have something like this and love it (legs fold in as well) ... we got it at HD or Lowes but I can't remember which one and I can't seem to find one online so I'd say a trip to one of them would be a good spot to look its a telescoping scaffolding platform ours came with like a paint can tray that clicks on top

Chris (a.k.a. Pockets)
    Warehouse Manager

Pockets@poorboysworld.com
    (845)215-9700

Post Thanks / Like

I, like many here, use the Werner Work Platform. IMO, it's the most cost-effective solution, with some caveats. You really need more than one. When not standing on it one tends to put polishes, pads, buffers etc on it. Then you need to unload it when it's time to work up high. One workaround is to do the high work first.

You can also find yourself working towards the end and stretching just a bit more than is prudent to avoid climbing down to move the platform. Not smart. Having two platforms end to end would be handy.

The Werner has a flat aluminum surface. I picked up a roll of adhesive-backed anti skid tape for the top surfaces. Cushioning the edge of the platform and the legs to prevent scratches is also mandatory. I used the soft hook side of stick-on velcro on all the surfaces that face the vehicle.

Someone on another Forum touts the Bauer 20900 platform. It has antiskid on the platform and a handy carrying handle. Compared to the Werner the price might take your breath away though!

TL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    I, like many here, use the Werner Work Platform. IMO, it's the most cost-effective solution, with some caveats. You really need more than one. When not standing on it one tends to put polishes, pads, buffers etc on it. Then you need to unload it when it's time to work up high. One workaround is to do the high work first.

You can also find yourself working towards the end and stretching just a bit more than is prudent to avoid climbing down to move the platform. Not smart. Having two platforms end to end would be handy.

The Werner has a flat aluminum surface. I picked up a roll of adhesive-backed anti skid tape for the top surfaces. Cushioning the edge of the platform and the legs to prevent scratches is also mandatory. I used the soft hook side of stick-on velcro on all the surfaces that face the vehicle.

Someone on another Forum touts the Bauer 20900 platform. It has antiskid on the platform and a handy carrying handle. Compared to the Werner the price might take your breath away though!

TL
    GENIUS!!! The soft loop side of velcro! Freakin GENIUS! I definiltey need to get some anti skid tape too.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    GENIUS!!! The soft loop side of velcro! Freakin GENIUS! I definiltey need to get some anti skid tape too.
    I believe the uhfishal Guinness-approved word is "BRILLIANT"!

Don't toss the hook side. Cut in small pieces it's handy to stick on the underside of shelves to attach your pads to to get 'em out of the way and maximize storage space.

TL <--- resident genius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast