autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Opinions - please let me know what you think!

After much reading and research I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. I've wanted to get into detailing my own vehicles for a while now but never made the jump - what convinced me was the last detail I paid for that I was not very happy with. If you want something done right......!

I have two vehicles - both of them are white - Toyota Camry and an Infinity Qx56 (like a metallic pearl white). I've watched a few of the "how to" videos and plan on watching a few more before I get started to ensure I am following the right steps and using the proper techniques as this will be my first time. I have included a list of what I recently purchased from AG below - Let me know if you think I am missing something or would change something around. I will be taking pictures along the way and will document my progress and steps on here along the way. Thanks in advance!

-Mike

I need to get some washing supplies still..... but the list (so far) goes like this-

16.9 oz. SONAX Wheel Cleaner

DP Detailing Clay & Lube Special

6 Inch Griot's Garage Polisher

Lake Country 6.5 CCS Pads- 6 PACK
    - 2 Orange
    - 2 White
    - 1 Red
    - 1 Gray

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0
    Duragloss Marine RV Polish #501
    Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) #105
    Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent (PBA) #60
    Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 16oz.
    Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951

32 oz. Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

12 pack Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder

The products are somewhat listed in order of use. I will have to test a spot on the car to be sure but I was thinking I would use the TSR 3.0 with an Orange pad, the DG #501 & #105 with a White pad, and the #845 with a Red or Gray pad. Maybe finish off with the Aquawax - but definitely use after washes - between waxes.

Thanks again - Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions - please let me know what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Mg82 View Post
    After much reading and research I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. I've wanted to get into detailing my own vehicles for a while now but never made the jump - what convinced me was the last detail I paid for that I was not very happy with. If you want something done right......!

I have two vehicles - both of them are white - Toyota Camry and an Infinity Qx56 (like a metallic pearl white). I've watched a few of the "how to" videos and plan on watching a few more before I get started to ensure I am following the right steps and using the proper techniques as this will be my first time. I have included a list of what I recently purchased from AG below - Let me know if you think I am missing something or would change something around. I will be taking pictures along the way and will document my progress and steps on here along the way. Thanks in advance!

-Mike

I need to get some washing supplies still..... but the list (so far) goes like this-

16.9 oz. SONAX Wheel Cleaner

DP Detailing Clay & Lube Special

6 Inch Griot's Garage Polisher

Lake Country 6.5 CCS Pads- 6 PACK
    - 2 Orange
    - 2 White
    - 1 Red
    - 1 Gray

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0
    Duragloss Marine RV Polish #501
    Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) #105
    Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent (PBA) #60
    Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 16oz.
    Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951

32 oz. Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

12 pack Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder

The products are somewhat listed in order of use. I will have to test a spot on the car to be sure but I was thinking I would use the TSR 3.0 with an Orange pad, the DG #501 & #105 with a White pad, and the #845 with a Red or Gray pad. Maybe finish off with the Aquawax - but definitely use after washes - between waxes.

Thanks again - Mike.
    Looks like a great start, I like Megs 105/205 and not a big fan of the price and smell of Sonax. Have almost the same line up myself.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds good

I'd add some rinseless and/or waterless concentrates in there and you are set...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    sounds good

I'd add some rinseless and/or waterless concentrates in there and you are set...
    Yeah, skip the detail spray and go for Ultima Waterless Wash Concentrate+! Great stuff and very versatile.

Post Thanks / Like

to AG Mike

Looks like an excellent list so far. I would definitely add some nice microfibers to your list if you haven't so far. Cobra makes some nice soft microfibers. I love the Guzzler for Glass and Supreme 530/600/Gold Plush for wax, polish, sealant and QD's

I myself love Meg's 105/205 for polishing

You should get grit guards for your buckets if you plan on doing a regular wash and not a No rinse or Waterless.

Hope this helps and Good Luck. Cant wait to see your post in the Show N' Shine Section

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like some nice stuff.

Any reason your picking 6.5" pads over 5.5" pads. In general you'll have quicker success with 5.5" flat x 7/8" thick LC pads than the 6.5" flat pads and quicker still with either of these pads over CCS pads. But, some like the CCS pads. I'd guess your picking these because the GG comes with a backing plate for these size pads but in my opinion after using both 5.5" and 6.5" pads the 5.5" work much faster. All will give good results, it mainly comes down to the amount of time needed to get to those results.

The only reason I mention this is because I became frustrated and impatient trying to get some polishes to "flash" using a 6.5" CCS pad, but had no trouble with a 5.5" flat LC pad.

Post Thanks / Like

First, Welcome!

My opinion would be to start simple. Get your DA and get a Meguire Microfiber system.
    From there you can expand as needed. Once you use D300 you can hand apply Colonite 845 and your car will look great with 1/2 the effort.
    just my 2 cents
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

As some of the other fellas have said.........drop to 5.5 pads

you are going to love the DG products you have listed......501/105/601 mixed and coli 845 is a killer combo!

and to AGO and your new addiction!
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome, tips, and responses. I went with the 6.5" pads because I read a few places that the GG polisher can spin them without a problem. I didn't realize there were other reasons to go to a small 5.5" pad. I guess I will run with the 6.5" pads for now since that is was is already on its way - but I would like to try the smaller pads like you've mentioned on the next go around. Thanks for the tip!

I picked the DG products listed because I read great things about the use of them on white colored vehicles and lots of reviews saying it really makes the metal flake "Pop".

Coli 845...... lots of people say great things about this product!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SkateForGirl View Post
    to AG Mike

Looks like an excellent list so far. I would definitely add some nice microfibers to your list if you haven't so far. Cobra makes some nice soft microfibers. I love the Guzzler for Glass and Supreme 530/600/Gold Plush for wax, polish, sealant and QD's

I myself love Meg's 105/205 for polishing

You should get grit guards for your buckets if you plan on doing a regular wash and not a No rinse or Waterless.

Hope this helps and Good Luck. Cant wait to see your post in the Show N' Shine Section
    How about these microfibers? http://www.amazon.com/Eurow-Microfib...5630061&sr=8-5

I plan on getting some grit guards, brushes, and other odds and ends.

No Rinse?? Waterless Wash?? Do these work better or as good as the 2-bucket method?

here is the product that was mentioned -

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate, concentrated waterless auto wash, waterless car wash

This would be used in place of the DG Aquawax after normal washes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast