autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garage Lighting

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Lighting

You want lights that simulate the light range that daylight puts out which is around 6500K. If you can get those in a high wattage or florescent that would be great.

I run 650W CFL bulbs which put out a ton of light. They are close to daylight running @5000K. They do have a larger socket than most but I use an adapter to fit in a standard socket. I have one in a two garage and the light is fantastic. Two of them would be more than plenty light and the correct light range (over 5000k) really when detailing.

SKO150EA50 - 650 Watt Incandescent Equivalent, 150 Watt, 120 Volt Bright White CFL Bulb | Bulbs.com

Have a lighting person checkout the shop and give suggestions. Whatever you decide - get a bulb that simulates daylight or close to 5000K or preferably 6500K. (color temperature)

opie_7afe

just and fyi flat white reflects better then glossy white, dont know why but a lumen meter shows flat has better reflective ability

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie_7afe View Post
    just and fyi flat white reflects better then glossy white, dont know why but a lumen meter shows flat has better reflective ability
    really? I always thought that the gloss gave the paint better reflectance? Might have to test that out. Think my work got a lumen meter, not sure if I can borrow it though...

In either case, the white paint will reflect better than unpainted drywall, agreed?

-Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I used to work for a commercial lighting manufacturer so I bought my fixtures while I worked there. My best suggestion is to make sure your fixtures have excellent reflectors. Plain old strip lights will send the light all around the room and not where you want it. Make sure you get a highly polished reflector or a white reflector. That being said - I have a 3 car garage and I have six fixtures with six lamps in each. These fixtures are meant to replace HID fixtures that you see in Lowes or HD. They hhhhhave tremendous capabilities. I do not have any drop off in my garage. If you select the correct ballast you can vary the number of lamps that come on when you flip the switch as you might not need all 6 every time.

Post Thanks / Like

im debating on flood lights or halogen, any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

What about painting the walls BLACK? I always notice that i can see defects much easier with a black background. I have also seen a few detailers that use a divider with a black cloth on it pulled tight. Kind of like a moveable metal tube framed wall with black fabric.

Like a poster said above, it might be worthwhile to see if you can get a subpanel put into the garage for the electric. Especially if you want to add any sort of heat. I have a 240v heater in my garage and it pulls 30 amps all by itself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12