autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help: Dirty bmw wheels

I'm having a difficult time cleaning the X5 rims. The difficulty is on the flat part of the rim. It has alot of caked on brake dust that has pitted.

Any suggestions?

Thaknk you in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help: Dirty bmw wheels

Is this your car?, the best thing I can say is to swap out the brake pads with some Akebono ceramics I swapped mine out on my 745 and now it takes a month to get the same brake dust I used to get in a day... (figuratively speaking) my baby waits no month for a wash but u get the idea.... An ounce if prevention is worth a pound of cure...

Post Thanks / Like

And sorry.... I know that want an answer to help u but can u get a few pics up

Post Thanks / Like

I have an X5 as well...which wheels do you have? I have the Y-Spoke 335s...A pic or two would help. You will discover that for caked on brake dust the only thing that works is lots of Iron-X and agitation. Also, swapping out the brake pads for a BMW that is still under warranty and/or maintenance plan is not advised.

Post Thanks / Like

First up for me would be Meg's Wheel Brightener.
    Next, I suppose you could try Iron-X or Sonax FE, but I have never had luck with bad BMW wheels and either of those.

Last thing (what I did on the last bad set I had to "restore") is aggressive clay, patience, and time. I had a set of 650i wheels with severely baked on dust, and it took me a few hours to get them back into shape (but I got paid for it). This picture was taken after about 4-5 scrubbings with various cleaners (but not Meg's WB):

That stuff had to be clayed off.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

PB Spray and rinse

If it's been caked for a while, you may have to scrub and clay, but after that just SR and rinse

Post Thanks / Like

You have to be careful with Megs Wheel Brightener if any of the ferric grey paint is chipped or has curb rash. Megs will attack the bare aluminum and as an acid it will start to etch its way between the aluminum and the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

If you use the Megs WB, really good last resort cleaner BTW, make sure the wheels are very wet and cold do not let it dry.
    I've owned 4 BMW's and if the wheels get really dirty and the dust is pitted or sintered on you will have to clay and possibly polish them to get clean and like new. Once they are clean seal or coat them and keep it up. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    PB Spray and rinse

If it's been caked for a while, you may have to scrub and clay, but after that just SR and rinse
    In the pic I posted above I had scrubbed with PB S&R two times already. It didn't touch that stuff (just for reference to the OP - I don't think I would try PB's since the WB is definitely stronger.)

I agree with what the other guys have said about the WB though - make sure you are spraying it on a coated wheel (not bare aluminum) or it will definitely leave it's mark.

Even at that, clay may be in order. Thank You BMW for brakes that dust like no other.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DLB View Post
    In the pic I posted above I had scrubbed with PB S&R two times already. It didn't touch that stuff (just for reference to the OP - I don't think I would try PB's since the WB is definitely stronger.)

I agree with what the other guys have said about the WB though - make sure you are spraying it on a coated wheel (not bare aluminum) or it will definitely leave it's mark.

Even at that, clay may be in order. Thank You BMW for brakes that dust like no other.

DLB

Did you dilute the sr. I don't. NEVER had anything it couldn't handle.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast