autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

If you could have only ONE wax...

What would it be?

Seeing as I have a second chance at a 20% off sale...

I have been eyeing Souveran, but after seeing the pics of that Mustang with Fuzion...and it seems SS II hasnt gotten the best reviews.

I have a dark blue 350Z and a few white cars. I am not concerned about durability at all as these are not daily drivers. I want visual impact. In my arsenal right now are all Meguiars products.

I think Fuzion is out of my price range (unless I wait until they sell it without the box and refill at a nice price like they have in the past)...so if you were me, and you could only have ONE nice wax to make all colors look amazing, what would it be?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you could have only ONE wax...

Collinite 845....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Max Wax.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Souveran.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Collinite 845....

Edit. I see durability is not a concern than nevermind my comment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    it seems SS II hasnt gotten the best reviews.

I suspect it may be the perception of "lack of durability" issue. Most beauty waxes are not long-lived...often less than the usual 30-45 days expected of waxes in general. Vehicle exposure to the elements, wash cycles, etc.,...YMMV.

I have a dark blue 350Z and a few white cars.

Do these vehicles wear the BC/CC paint system?

I am not concerned about durability at all

OK.

I want visual impact.

Waxes, especially those heavily laden with carnuba wax, do seem to impart a different look to a well prepped top-coat paint film...Interpretations of the carnuba-look are varied.

In my arsenal right now are all Meguiars products.

Great car care product line...IMO.

ONE nice wax to make all colors look amazing

Referring to an above question...Hopefully you won't be waxing the 'BC colors'....If there's any SS paint systems vehicles...then sure you'll be waxing the 'color' of the top-coat paint film.
    IMHO...The best way to ensure your 'prep work' is not all for naught:

-Apply a wax/hybrid wax that will, upon curing, be as optically clear as possible; that is, will not occlude the below paint film surface right off the bat (as it most definitely will as it goes through its life-cycle).
    If it's a BC/CC: It will allow the BC's color to be "more shiny", as it were, as it "shines through" what is now two layers: The CC paint-film-layer, and the wax film/layer.
    If it's SS: The "cure optically clear as possible" credo still applies.

-I have Sig Series II. I use it...Easy on/off...Optically clear upon curing....I like it!!
    -Seems like I've always had and used Meguiar's #26. This hybrid wax (now available in paste or liquid) is best known for its optical clarity upon curing...Probably one of THE best for that characteristic...I like it also!!

Those are my recommendations...

Are there less expensive/more costly waxes that exhibit what I look for? Sure. Budget considerations often are a factor, though.
    Thinking: Optically-clear-upon-curing...Is what I, more often than not, go by.

Just some of my thoughts...Hope they may be of service.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Can I pick a sealant instead?
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

OCW. So easy to apply. Looks good too. Haven't tried 845 yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845, since longevity is most important to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Souveran for deep wet look and darkening effect.

Fuzion for beautiful reflections.

...But the "look" really comes from polishing/correction. An orange peel-free surface worked to the final jeweling step is how you get visual impact. Spending time to polish further and finer than you can see the difference.

Wax is for protection. "Icing on the cake" but it actually (very slightly) lowers the reflectivity of the paint. So, personally all I really look for in a wax is performance. Mainly water sheeting (not beading). That's not to say I don't have Fuzion and Souveran in my collection ready for some sunny day in Seattle...

Besides the darkening effect of souveran, I'd like to see a discernible difference shown between any two wax's. I think you'd be hard pressed to show a side by side difference. Generally the subtle nuance's between wax's are either only noticeable when seeing "the whole picture", like walking around a freshly waxed car. Or else it's just a figment of your imagination.

So, if the question was "How do I create VISUAL IMPACT?". The answer might be more along the lines of "A Rotary with either Menz 84rd or 3M Ultrafina". Starting with Damp Sanding by machine, that is where visual impact begins IMO.

My pick (in your case) would probably be Souveran for it's, rich & oily luxurious feel, and deep darkening "pool of ink" effect. If not, just for the pleasure it is to apply. As far as performance and durability though, this wax is comparative garbage. It would look great on your Dark Blue 350Z! and couldn't hurt the white cars.

Wait to buy Souveran on BOGO or VIP sale...

My $0.02, FWIW.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.