autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the best sealant to use on polished aluminum?

I'm going to be polishing a set of aluminum wheels here soon. As much as I love the mirrored look of freshly polished aluminum, we all know how quickly that finish oxidizes and dulls if left unsealed. I've been looking into permanent sealants for polished aluminum and I've found a few so far, but having never used any of them, I don't know how well they work. So far I've found Sharkhide, and Shineseal. I would prefer a product that you wipe on rather than spraying on because I don't want to have to deal with overspray, and the product should not alter the look of the polished surface. What are your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used wheel sealants but I find they tend to cloud the finish and make it look less of a mirror finish.

I used Opticoat on a set and I was very excited to see how great they looked after they were done. The coating was crystal clear and they will look great for a long time to come.

If you want to use something else look into Blackfire metal sealant or Wolfgang metal sealant

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the best sealant to use on polished aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    I've used wheel sealants but I find they tend to cloud the finish and make it look less of a mirror finish.

I used Opticoat on a set and I was very excited to see how great they looked after they were done. The coating was crystal clear and they will look great for a long time to come.

If you want to use something else look into Blackfire metal sealant or Wolfgang metal sealant
    How are these products applied, sprayed or wiped on?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

After doing a quick search I found out that Opticoat is actually formulated as a paint sealer, and isn't actually meant to be applied to bare metal. I don't know if this has any bearing on how well it will or won't work for this application, but I suppose those who have used it for this can attest with their experiences...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    How are these products applied, sprayed or wiped on?
    All of them are wipe on

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    After doing a quick search I found out that Opticoat is actually formulated as a paint sealer, and isn't actually meant to be applied to bare metal. I don't know if this has any bearing on how well it will or won't work for this application, but I suppose those who have used it for this can attest with their experiences...
    When I posted the question Chris said it would work just fine on aluminum. I tried it and was extremely happy. I coated the wheels in October and they are just fine and look as good as they did the day I polished them. The TA in my avatar picture was my daily driver and I had them polished for years. It was always a pain to keep them looking good but I polished nearly every week just to keep them looking like a mirror

I'm getting polished wheels for my truck and will be costing them with Opticoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Most metal sealants I have seen take away that "POP" that freshly polished aluminum has. I do aluminum polishing on the side, as well as detailing.... Most big rigs.... I have tried afew sealants because I drive a fully polished Peterbilt everday and have tried to keep the aluminum decent in the winter. All sealants I have tried dissappointed me.. Might have to try opticoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaotik View Post
    Most metal sealants I have seen take away that "POP" that freshly polished aluminum has. I do aluminum polishing on the side, as well as detailing.... Most big rigs.... I have tried afew sealants because I drive a fully polished Peterbilt everday and have tried to keep the aluminum decent in the winter. All sealants I have tried dissappointed me.. Might have to try opticoat
    I have polished aluminium wheels. Same thing here. I can get them looking amazing but sealing them takes away some of the shine. It sucks cause aluminum gets dirty quick. And the shine without sealant is amazing...

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the wolfgangs metal selant and had good results. jonathan

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohmy34 View Post
    I have used the wolfgangs metal selant and had good results. jonathan
    Does it diminish the shine?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast