autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Weird Trim issue?

I was in the garage and noticed a little bit of wax or compount on the trim around my windshield. I decided to just scrape it off with my thumbnail, and my nail turned black. So i just sprayed a bit of water on it & buffed with a MF and it turned black as well.

Im assuming on a 6+ year old car, this isnt bleeding dye, its recently applied dye that is coming off?

I bought the car 3-4 months ago and havent really done anything to the trim, as it looked pretty good already.

Now, if this is dealer applied dye, what can i do to safely remove it and start restoring the trim properly? Would IPA do it? Simple APC like 409 or simple green?

Im really at a loss here. Any help would be great.

Shawn

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weird Trim issue?

Hit it with apc, then iPa, let dry, peanut butter to remove wax, apc and iPa again before trim restorer. There are multiple choices. Wolf? Aerospace 303?

Post Thanks / Like

If you couldn't tell it was dye then why remove it? If you are removing it though you want to select from the following products ime.

Ultima Trim & Tire Guard or
    Wolfgang ETS
    followed by a coat of PERL
    C4
    that new product AG got but I have no experience with it... Pricey but curious
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

opie_7afe

older trim is just like old single stage paint where the color can come off on a towel,take some pictures for us.remember most detailers forget about window trim seals when detailing for car lots. answer me this, is your trim nice smooth and clean or does it have spots and almost a gray discoloration? if so try some ultimate compound on the trim, wipe it off using a towel with some 10:1 apc on it and apply some trim dressing/sealant. made my 15 yearold trim look great.

off topic: i really dont know why people suggest using peanut butter for wax removal on trim who wants to put peanut butter on their car when you can remove it using a specialized product or just use some wd40 on a qtip, most light weight oils will work to remove waxes from trim i just never understood using peanut butter on trim. understand the theory just not the action!