autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: stick shift vs. paddle shifters

8-speed automatic here. My ECU tune doesn't allow the trans to shift unless it reaches redline. So if i put it in first, it stays in first unless i shift up. I'd say that's control

Owner at Clean N' Shiny Auto Detailing Inc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    me neither. i think a lot of people (not all) just need exposure to real automated manuals to know what it's like. i drove a caged manual Honda for almost 10 years, about as manual as you can get - linkage actuated trans, manual windows, no cruise control, etc. - and swore up and down i'd never have an auto as my fun car and here i am years later on the other side of the fence lol.
    also, my dad's last two cars have been automatic and they have been well over 200k miles and still run with no problems even though they are tired. some have said manual trans will last longer than auto but I don't believe it to be the case anymore...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    huge wildcard with that though is that the GT-R is awd. it can put more power down (like, actually down meaning with traction) at any given time than any of those cars listed...particularly at the start. but yeah, the point is still there.

latest gen Carrera S is ~7/10 of a second and ~3 mph faster in 1/4 mile with PDK vs. manual.
    Great points ..... and I was comparing the GT-R with those cars because it was true "stock vs stock" - that being said, when you put similarly powered EVOs/STIs against the GT-R they almost always lose even though they are lighter. Gearing also helps a lot in the GT-R. It's just an amazingly engineered vehicle. If I had the $ I'd get one for sure!
    Retired Marine - Full time Detailer.

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeReflections1

Post Thanks / Like

But part of "stirring the soul" is how a car appeals to your senses, and one of those senses is sight. I honestly don't care how fast or potent the GT-R is, aesthetically it doesn't stir my soul. The F-Type R or 458 Spyder may be slower than the Nissan, but who cares? Schwing!
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    But part of "stirring the soul" is how a car appeals to your senses, and one of those senses is sight. I honestly don't care how fast or potent the GT-R is, aesthetically it doesn't stir my soul. The F-Type R or 458 Spyder may be slower than the Nissan, but who cares? Schwing!
    Right!! I was talking strictly from a performance stand point. There are other cars that are more aesthetically pleasing to the eye for sure. Then again the most expensive GTR (factory) is still $50k less than a 458. Bang for the buck at the $125-$175k price point it's hard to beat the GTR. 458's start at $225k

if we are talking 458 type $ I'd get a Porsche GT3 instead. To me Ferrari's are too much of a "hey look at me!!" car - very loud. I like my cars more "subdued."
    Retired Marine - Full time Detailer.

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeReflections1

Post Thanks / Like

Paddle shifters? ... ... Goodness Gracious!!

"Nothing flappy...will ever be Manly"!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Foe me, stick shift. But on a daily driver, auto. Don't care about paddle shifters, didn't like them. One half hour traffic jam on a daily driver manual transmission and you'll wish you had an automatic. Or having to drive in rush hour traffic everyday with all the stopping and starting. That gets pretty old.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the car and how it will be used. That said, the newer trannies and paddles are faster shifting and more performance oriented that a manual.

I think the manual with be extinct in the next decade.

Post Thanks / Like

DCTs are already replacing planetary automatics on many "mundane" vehicles now, as well. I don't mind, I honestly don't miss using my left leg to help a machine do its job. That said, I've been shifting my automated manual manually for almost eight years; the car's automatic program is dreadful so I only use it when I have one hand occupied. But I've driven better automated manuals and they leave absolutely nothing to be desired, allowing the driver full control while responding quicker and more accurately than any human can. Take a Cayman GTS with PDK or CLA45 with AMG-Speedtronic for a spin and experience the future of driving.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

In my Acura TL it had an Auto and you shifted to the side to enter manual and moved the stick up and down. Loved it. Now in my TSX I have the paddle shifters and like it but not as much. The Cayman S is better in a manual, but the new Turbos I've driven are fantastic with paddles. Depends on the car for me.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast