autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bfwd application temperature

Howdy ,

I have been a long time Zaino guy but one gripe I have is even with the drying excellerant below low fiftys or so it will just sit there. I have had a bottle of BFWD for quite a while , only used it once so far , laid a coat over Z2 on my Camaro on the hood just to see how it goes on.
    Now the consistency obviously is much different...its thick thick as apposed to thin thin like Zaino....my question is , will it apply and come off in colder temps any better than Zaino..?
    I just acquired a new to me pristine Hummer H3 and I striped and claybared it already and it is naked clear coat over the popular medium banana yellow...I need to get winter protection on it right away as I am in the frigid always nasty midwest.
    It looks like my garage will be hovering in the fiftys here for the next few days , oh ,and one other question , is it advisable to use a spritz of spray detailer like Z6 when applying BFWD ? I always try to practice thinthinthin when applying paint sealants.
    Please advise me and many thanks !

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bfwd application temperature

I don't really have any experience with Zaino. But BFWD will still apply and come off pretty easily in slightly colder temp's. What do you mean using a spray detailer when applying? If you mean for help with removal, then yes you can use it if needed. But I doubt you will. BFWD usually wipes off super easy.
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoeless89 View Post
    I don't really have any experience with Zaino. But BFWD will still apply and come off pretty easily in slightly colder temp's. What do you mean using a spray detailer when applying? If you mean for help with removal, then yes you can use it if needed. But I doubt you will. BFWD usually wipes off super easy.
    Thanks for the reply Shawn , Zaino is used very spairingly , several
    drops on a applicator of sealant followed by a spritz of detail spray helps to further thin the product as well as help it glide on in straight motions .I know of many detailers who use both products , lots of times its decided by the make or color or by paint composition. I am just curious if anyone thins BF a little because of it being more like a liquid wax consistancy. I may just have to try the product on a fender and see if it will tack up in the 42-45 temperature range.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you will have to thin it. It should be fine.
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

BFWD wipes off with pretty much no effort..I am not sure using a QD with it is a good idea..it needs to cure after its removed and the liquid hitting it as you remove it might have some effects on its durability. I dont see any need for a helper to remove..it is as easy as Fuzion on removal. I had zero issues in like 45degree temps

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 05xrunner View Post
    BFWD wipes off with pretty much no effort..I am not sure using a QD with it is a good idea..it needs to cure after its removed and the liquid hitting it as you remove it might have some effects on its durability. I dont see any need for a helper to remove..it is as easy as Fuzion on removal. I had zero issues in like 45degree temps
    Gosh , I dont think i have done a very good job of asking my question or answering comments....Iam sorry for that...

An application of Zaino wasnt my intent when I started the thread...I know its an independent product and i have no affiliation with them...I guess I am a creature of habit and want to use the same techniques I have used for quite a while.

Zaino doesnt sit well with cold weather as far as application...it wont cure right cold..enuf said...are you guys able to apply BFWD in colder temps or is that just a common problem among all fine paint sealants ? sure any product can be applied but has to give up enough moisture to cure in a lower temp, maybe that isnt possible...that is where I was going...I have a nice carnuba midnight sun ,but i consider that a topper only , I need to try and get a sealant base coat on right away.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro View Post
    Gosh , I dont think i have done a very good job of asking my question or answering comments....Iam sorry for that...

An application of Zaino wasnt my intent when I started the thread...I know its an independent product and i have no affiliation with them...I guess I am a creature of habit and want to use the same techniques I have used for quite a while.

Zaino doesnt sit well with cold weather as far as application...it wont cure right cold..enuf said...are you guys able to apply BFWD in colder temps or is that just a common problem among all fine paint sealants ? sure any product can be applied but has to give up enough moisture to cure in a lower temp, maybe that isnt possible...that is where I was going...I have a nice carnuba midnight sun ,but i consider that a topper only , I need to try and get a sealant base coat on right away.
    Ok , questions answered , I should have ran a search before making the thread....can be wiped off wet or dry , can be put on by machine or by hand...I have a PC and a Cyclo , so this helps....I will try and wash it today and let it finish drying good overnight and try an application tomorrow....and maybe another the following day...me thinks more is always better...

Post Thanks / Like

I put BFWD on with a yellow sponge applicator on top of perfectly clean clearcoat. It was probably 50 degrees that day. BFWD wiped off easily with a plush, dry MF towel. After wiping it off just let it cure or flash. I definitely wouldn't use a QD during the process.

I'm sure you are going to find it easy to use and like the results.

2010 Camaro SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IndeedSS View Post
    I put BFWD on with a yellow sponge applicator on top of perfectly clean clearcoat. It was probably 50 degrees that day. BFWD wiped off easily with a plush, dry MF towel. After wiping it off just let it cure or flash. I definitely wouldn't use a QD during the process.

I'm sure you are going to find it easy to use and like the results.
    He He , we are neighbors , I am in the Edwardsville area, I have an SS in RJT...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro View Post
    He He , we are neighbors , I am in the Edwardsville area, I have an SS in RJT...
    Cool

This years weather change caught me off guard. I really need to get my winter wheel/tire combo put on this coming weekend. My black with CGM stripes SS is my daily driver. As you know those Z rated summer Pirellis get a bit squirrley when the temps drop below 40.

On topic I think you should be fine doing the BFWD. BTW I don't think my BFWD was overly thick. I did shake the bottle pretty well before using though and I keep all of that kind of stuff in the house.

2010 Camaro SS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast