autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A few upcoming detail jobs (suggestions wanted)

Hi all.

So recently I've decided to stop doing production details and stick with special interest jobs, kind of picking and choosing the jobs that I want to do. I thought I would take a break for a while but right away I get a few calls to do some jobs that I just don't want to pass on. One is a Bentley Continental Coupe that one of my newer clients traded his Aston Martin DB9 in on. He says the Bentley used to be owned by Lebron James. I have yet to see the car as he takes delivery of it later this week but of course I said "Sure I'll do that." Who wouldn't...right?

The other is this truck and trailer that one of my best clients just bought for his "410" Sprint Car team. These guys are part of "The PA Posse" and they run against "The World of Outlaws" at a lot of the more well known race tracks. I love going to the sprint car races and get excited at the thought of transforming this old rig into something that's brilliant. Here are a few photos of what I will be up against.

Here's the Rig, I suspect it's packing a big old 366 C.I.D. Gas engine. Needs some TLC for sure.

Here's the Garage on wheels, fairly oxidized with some rusty frame rails and dull aluminum. I have a vision of the aluminum rails and diamond plate looking near chrome like and some shiny Black paint.

OK so here's where I'd like the suggestions. I know that these trailers are put together with pre painted aluminum panels and the paint on these pre painted sheets of aluminum is rather soft and thin. There is decal adhesive where decals used to be, some of it is rather thick too. I have tried 3M adhesive remover on similar adhesive and all I can say about that stuff is that it really sucks. It does nearly nothing to this type of adhesive however I have a suspicion that it would dissolve the thin soft paint rather efficiently which would be bad. I have in the past, used oily solvents to soften thick adhesive up and then rotary buffed the semi dissolved adhesive off of car paint that it hard with no problems but this stuff i am sure is going to be soft paint.

A heat gun will warp these thin aluminum sheets in a heartbeat. I learned this the hard way in the past so a heat gun is out. Maybe a hair dryer but I don't want a repeat of my past experience with the heat gun on this type of panel. Here's a pic of the panels with the adhesive remaining. How would you guys go about removing it?

This decal might stay, we're not sure yet. The owner says that he may be able to put his car number on it and use it but if he'd want it removed, how would you guys go about it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, TD

opie_7afe

Re: A few upcoming detail jobs (suggestions wanted)

for the left over adhesive, use something with pure orange oil/d-limonene in it, i suggest de-solv-it, its found at walmart in the household cleaner aisle,its around 20% d-limonene and works fantastic on goopy stuff, to remove the decal that is there use an eraser wheel or set it in the sun and peel it off by hand. good luck on these projects!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt. Have you ever heard of "Orange Peel" adhesive remover?

Post Thanks / Like

What about Dodo Juice Supernatural Tar & Glue Remover? It uses natural orange oil as the solvent. I picked up some in my last order but haven't gotten to try it yet.

Dodo Juice Supernatural Tar & Glue Remover, adhesive remover, remove tar
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestion Shane. I'd hold something that pricey as a last resort. There's got to be something sold in gallons somewhere that is priced reasonably.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave you might give Krud Kutter a try......It worked well for on a trailer like that I did about a month ago,it was white tho and I would do a small test spot and make sure the paint dosn't come with it.

The paint on those trailers are super thin and it dosn't take much to remove it.

You can use your heat gun, you have to do small area at a time and not a lot of heat.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

I've used "Goof Off" in the past and always had great results with no marring at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I was looking around on a sign/graphics discussion forum and some of the top mentioned safe adhesive removers were WD-40, Orange Peel, Rapid remover and even orange "Goop" non pumice hand cleaner. At a minimum I think I'll have WD-40 and Goop on hand for this job. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good luck with Goo Gone Spray GEL Stay away from the Xtreme HD! It will remove paint. A friend recommended Krud Cutter and I'm yet to try it. Very economical .
    Per Seve Rando
    Success by perseverance

Post Thanks / Like

What about Tarminator? I use it often to remove adhesive and it works fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast