autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Method to get this key scratch out?

So I've had this scratch in the hood of the car for, I wanna say, 5 years now? Some kids found it funny to key it a week after we got the car. Anyone got tips or steps on how to get it out?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Method to get this key scratch out?-img_0190-jpg  
    Who said you had to be a guy to like detailing?
    Eva

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Method to get this key scratch out?

As a general rule of thumb, if it is deep enough to feel with your fingernail, then it can't be buffed out. If that is the case, the best way is to fill it, wet sand the area flat, and then compound and polish. If done right and with a dark colour, it can all but disappear.

Post Thanks / Like

Using something like Dr ColorChip should greatly improve this damage and breaking the little bastards fingers will guarantee it won't happen again...

Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair, dr. color chip, repair paint chips, touch-up paint, Doctor Color-Chip Paint Chip Repair

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

"Often time you can improve a scratch to the point where you can live with it versus risk trying to remove it 100%

Here's where I would use a 3" Meguiar's #3000 Unigrit Finishing Disc to level the surface "a little" and then remove the sanding marks. By the type you polish and wax the area it should look good enough you can live with it.

Did something similar on this 1934 Blown Ford except the random isolated deeper scratches were not that deep and we were able to completely remove them. (Custom paint is usually thicker than factory paint.

Blown 1934 Ford Pick-up - Show Car Makeover - Modeled by Kristin

Meanwhile I tackled the random, isolated deeper scratches, some by dampsanding with Meguiar's #3000 Finishing Discs and some just using the new Optimum 3" Microfiber Pads on a Flex PE 14 Rotary Buffer using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover.

The Dr. ColorChip remedy would also be something you could try...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Using something like Dr ColorChip should greatly improve this damage and breaking the little bastards fingers will guarantee it won't happen again...

Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair, dr. color chip, repair paint chips, touch-up paint, Doctor Color-Chip Paint Chip Repair

with Bobby G...Round blunt objects work best..LOL...Hehehe..
    .Check you tube for the Dr. Color Chip video to give you more input..

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks guys! I don't really understand why people feel the need to key cars. sigh.
    Eva

Post Thanks / Like

I am an absolute fan of the Dr Colorchip system. I've repaired multiple scratches similar to key marks with it on my Corolla and Odyssey. It is much easier to use than Langka and not as complicated as wetsanding. Depending on how deep it is, this could be just the solution. The best part is that the kit you get will also handle your rock chips that no amount of wetsanding would sort out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OCDetails View Post
    I am an absolute fan of the Dr Colorchip system. I've repaired multiple scratches similar to key marks with it on my Corolla and Odyssey.
    As a Honda owner are there anythings detailers should look out for in terms of the paint? I have read around the forums that the paint is really 'soft'?
    Eva

Post Thanks / Like

It just depends on the year of the honda. Everything post 2004 or 2005 is pretty soft on Hondas painted in the US. My '03 Pilot was painted with something rock hard and I never had problems with it. My '06 Odyssey doesn't stay looking perfect for very long after I polish it out it seems. That's the downside of having a dark colored vehicle though. It is the dark dark blue and it looks awesome when shiny, but the wife has the uncanny ability to get it messed up pretty fast. Well, her and the carpool kids anyway. I never have to use anything really aggressive to get it back to showroom perfect though. And I'll say that the Dr Colorchip paint match was absolutely spot on. It had some pretty deep scratches from backpack zippers that completely vanished with that stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, Is that an adaptor plate on your 3" Griots machine. Is that something Autogeek sells? I'm having a lot of trouble using the 3" with 3M sanding disks because the hook and loop designs are slightly differnt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast