autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Best way to approach this carpet?

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a beater vehicle so that I may sit my now to modified former daily driver. I acquired this car for $500 and for that, I got what I paid for. Despite the body being perfectly straight, the interior was another story. It was disgusting! When I first saw it, which was at night, there was clothes all over the interior and I could tell it was a mess.

Come daylight, it was much worse then I imagined. When the car was finally at my residence, I took a closer look at the interior. I included those pictures towards the end. After trashing what was inside and vacuuming it, what I have is the below. Now, I am by no means expecting to get it in brand new condition, but any condition is better than what it is in.

My question is, what is the best way to approach this? As of now, my game plan is the following:

- Rug Doctor
    - Rug Doctor Spot & Stain Remove

• "Removes stains from coffe, juice, sauces, chocolate syrup, permanent marker, makeup, oil, mud, grass, and more" ala RugDoctor brochure.

- Rug Doctor Odor Remove

• "Apply as a spot-treatment, or mix in a Rug Doctor machine during cleaning. Enzymatic action attacks foul odors at their source, completely eliminating them. Effective on animal, food, smoke, mildew and other odors" ala RudDoctor brochure.

I also have in my small arsenal Megs APC+ & a PC7424 with the white & aqua brush attachments. While searching, I also came across a product by the name of Folex and was considering it as well.

With all that being said, agitate first and then Rug Doctor or what?

Thanks for your time. On to the pics!

What I have now.

What I had before.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to approach this carpet?

Maybe pretreat with APC And agitate, then follow up with the rug doctor products. Did any of that brake fluid spill on the floor? I've always had good luck with APC.

Post Thanks / Like

I would take the carpet out and pressure wash it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbkite View Post
    Without hesitation! With some good APC (I always have results with Meg's APC+ or Opt. Power Clean), a little scrubbing, and repeated pressure washing, you can make that carpet look TOTALLY different. I won't say 100% restored, because I can't tell the exact condition. But it will be clean.

If you don't have a high power pressure washer, you could try the car wash, but it may not be strong enough. Or, if your house is in need of washing, just rent one and kill two birds with one stone.

By the way, since this is your personal vehicle, you have the liberty to run around for a few days without the carpet in the vehicle. At the very least, take it out so you can just wash it while you scrub. Using water to rinse clean will make a ton of difference. Even extractors (in my experience) will leave behind some "dirt" (at least dirty water that dries).

Take it out, you aren't far from it now. Just pop up the plastic pieces of trim still holding around the door sills, remove the seat belt bolts on the bottom, and take out the little plastic cover near the left foot of driver floorboard (probably where the trunk lever, etc. is). The plastic pieces little just pop out, just be careful. You have to use force. Start near one end and slowly work to the other and you will be fine.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

Burn it?
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbkite View Post
    Hit the nail right on the head. Now is the time to do it while you have everything removed. I would take folex to it over the rug doctor product. If there are major stains that won't come out then you could use this experience to learn how to re-dye it. Looks like a learning opportunity to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe look into replacing it. Might be easiest in the long run. Can you imagine what their house looks like?

Post Thanks / Like

With a ten-foot-pole?

J/K

You've got some good pointers from previous posts.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to have to agree with "kimtyson" in just replacing it. I see that there is a lot of oils built up in the carpet, and that will most likely never come out. IF you so choose to clean it I would suggest FOLEX and a Carpet Extractor.....Rent one from the store if you don't want to purchase one....it will make all the difference.
    "A swirl is a swirl no matter what way you look at it."

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for just replacing it. You can spend the time saved on hunting down and fixing the leak in your brake system that required all those bottles of brake fluid.
    Craig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast