autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How to promote good "car hygiene" to customer after detail

After a customer come to get their car, I find they are often wow'd. Some never ask and the next weekend, off they go to the local car wash and before long, the car is all swirled up again.

Has anyone put together a little flyer to give a customer after the car is cleaned to help them keep it "healthy" and looking good. Is something like this a waste of time?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to promote good "car hygiene" to customer after detail

Set up a maintenance plan with the customer before leaving; explaining the benefit and cost savings over time.

For instance when the customer picks up the car tell them about the process involved in bringing the car to the level it is at now. Then tell them to increase the longevity of the aesthetic appeal proper washing techniques along with regular waxing is essential. Then ask is they are interested in setting up a schedule for regular maintenance. If they say yes, have pricing already laid out and ready to present. Once they have found a suitable maintenance plan, close the deal, shake hands and put them in your books. Follow up a few days before their scheduled appointment to confirm and remind them that they are due.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonMiles View Post
    Set up a maintenance plan with the customer before leaving; explaining the benefit and cost savings over time.

For instance when the customer picks up the car tell them about the process involved in bringing the car to the level it is at now. Then tell them to increase the longevity of the aesthetic appeal proper washing techniques along with regular waxing is essential. Then ask is they are interested in setting up a schedule for regular maintenance. If they say yes, have pricing already laid out and ready to present. Once they have found a suitable maintenance plan, close the deal, shake hands and put them in your books. Follow up a few days before their scheduled appointment to confirm and remind them that they are due.
    Thanks for the response. A couple of folks I offered a "maintenance plan" to said they did not want one and would come back at a later date to have the car done again....which is fine. It is just hard to watch them try to clean the car on their own (which is fine too) only to make things worse because they dont have the correct cleaning supplies. You ever get folks like that? Do you just let them go without providing advice? Just looking for ways to help people keep their investment looking good (if they dont want to be on a maintenance plan)

Post Thanks / Like

It's great if you can set up a maintenance program but to be honest, ime, most people dont care/have money to stay on a program. Granted I have people who are on a program but for the most part they get their car washed at the local scratch and shine because it's cheaper. I have an appt book and usually write down when they are do for a detail and shoot them a text an email. Every month or so I send a text that I'll be in thier area if they want to get a car wash. People forget about getting thier car detailed so it's always good to remind them.plus it created business for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a maintenance plan on your HVAC at your house? Do you have all of the suggested services performed buy the car dealership at 10, 20 30,000 miles? You know those services, the ones we don't have performed because we believe we don't need them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by highgrade View Post
    Thanks for the response. A couple of folks I offered a "maintenance plan" to said they did not want one and would come back at a later date to have the car done again....which is fine. It is just hard to watch them try to clean the car on their own (which is fine too) only to make things worse because they dont have the correct cleaning supplies. You ever get folks like that? Do you just let them go without providing advice? Just looking for ways to help people keep their investment looking good (if they dont want to be on a maintenance plan)
    Just let them go and when they come back sell them a paint correction service to correct the new swirls. You really can't worry too much about someone who is not willing to listen. If they come back, you make a nice paycheck instead of a bunch of smaller paychecks. Either way you are profitable.

Its very similar to skipping maintenance on your car. If you skip a few oil changes worth $60 a piece, eventually something will break and you will have to spend a few thousand to fix it because you were stubborn. If you would rather skip those oil changes, that is a choice you make and eventually that money will be spent all at once instead of little by little.
    Jon Miles

opie_7afe

best thing to do if your high end is have some 4oz sprayers filled with a spray detailer,2 microfiber towels,interior protectant. something like that and have a tri-fold brochure explaining proper washing/after care methods like how you get a tattoo and they give you aftercare product and information. but you need to feel out the client if they are even the type to take care of their car, but most will appreciate a small care package and if i was a customer i would think "that was a cool detailer to give me some of his professional product to use on my car, must really care about the condition of my car"...good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie_7afe View Post
    best thing to do if your high end is have some 4oz sprayers filled with a spray detailer,2 microfiber towels,interior protectant. something like that and have a tri-fold brochure explaining proper washing/after care methods like how you get a tattoo and they give you aftercare product and information. but you need to feel out the client if they are even the type to take care of their car, but most will appreciate a small care package and if i was a customer i would think "that was a cool detailer to give me some of his professional product to use on my car, must really care about the condition of my car"...good luck!
    thanks for the response opie....
    I have given clients products before. In fact, today...I just returned a car and gave a small care package. The guy thought it was very cool to do. It was his first detail with me so I took some time to walk him through the exact process his car went through, to include showing the products and tools. He was very appreciative. Hopefully, it took my "home garage operation" another level.