autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb How do you remove opticoat 2.0 i screwed up the application :(

How do I remove Opti Coat 2.0 from my car?What recommendations can you all provide to best apply the product to a white car?It seems as though I screwed up in my application and the product didn't take properly to the hood of my white 2011 Cady CTS wagon. I think that I did a very thorough prep prior to application.The car was a 2011 white Cady CTS wagon with about 500 miles. I never waxed the car since purchase in July as I was planning on doing the Opti Coat.This was the prep that I did. Please let me know if it was sufficient.Washed/dried carStripped the paint with Griots garage Paint Prep (I used two 35oz bottles on the car justo make sure)After the Griots Paint Prep the car was thoroughly rinsed and dried.I than applied a full bottle of Iron X and again after the application the car was again thoroughly rinsed and dried.As this was a new car that was never waxed or sealed other than the minimal watered down spray on detailer that the dealership used in it's new car prep dept. I would think that by this point the paint would be free of any prior product contamination. However I did an aprox. 20% IPA wipe down as well prior to the application of the Opti Coat 2.0I did the application in the shade on on my driveway as there was no wind. I followed the instructions and applied the product very sparingly (total used on the car under 8m) with the foam applicator provided with the kit. The car being white in color made it very difficult to even see the product on the paint. It seems as though the only area that did not turn out well was the hood as I could see areas that evidently must have had some high spots that did not get leveled out before the product cured.Again what method do I use to remove the coating from the hood?What wold be the best method to use for applying to a white car?Just currious would having used two bottles of Griots Paint Prep and the Iron X to strip the paint have been addequate to strip the paint on a brand new car?I will be waiting for any help you all can provide as I have another new Cady waiting to be done as well. At this point I am not sure if I want to do the Opti Coat 2.0 on the CTS V coupe or just go with the old school tried and true Wolfgang dgps and Fuzion combo.Thanks for all of your helpStu
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    MAY THE SHINE BE WITH YOU

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you remove opticoat 2.0 i screwed up the application :(

You will need to use a polish/compound with mechanical abrasives to remoce OC. Obviously start with the least aggressive method. As far as application, you can wipe the area with a MF about 30-45 seconds after application to remove high spots with no ill effects IME. Keep you work areas small( I usually work no bigger than a 16 X 16 inch section) and inspect each section for high spots.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

polishing ... something like 105 should work.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Jim,I unserstand that I can't remove the Opti Coat by Chemical means and it will have to be abrraded off. I was hoping for more specific information as to what product to use with my Flex 3401 Sorry if I was not clear.Stu
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    polishing ... something like 105 should work.
    Thanks Scott,I have Wolfgang swirl remover. Would that work? Also what color pad should I use?
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Take it through the swirl-a-thon for 36 times in a row
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Take it through the swirl-a-thon for 36 times in a row
    From what I have read that will not remove the Opti Coat and I only need to do the hood over again. I know that you really must have put a lot of effort into your reply and even though the information that you provided is totally worthless it was a bit funny LOL Thank youBut what ever you do don't quit your day job
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by unclestu View Post
    Thanks for the reply Jim,I unserstand that I can't remove the Opti Coat by Chemical means and it will have to be abrraded off. I was hoping for more specific information as to what product to use with my Flex 3401 Sorry if I was not clear.Stu

I'm Sorry. I would try the WG TSR you mentioned first, but I hve a feeling that may not totally work. Megs 105(as Scott has mentioned) on a orange LC pad should do the trick. Or you can find Megs Ultimate compound locally which is pretty close to the cut of 105.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by unclestu View Post
    From what I have read that will not remove the Opti Coat and I only need to do the hood over again. I know that you really must have put a lot of effort into your reply and even though the information that you provided is totally worthless it was a bit funny LOL Thank youBut what ever you do don't quit your day job
    I quit my day job 8 years ago. Glad I was able to make you smile
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I quit my day job 8 years ago. Glad I was able to make you smile
    I am glad you made me smile also. Now the dogs can come out of their hiding places. They knew that I was one unhappy puppy when I saw that hood and theyh have been hiding from me ever since. LOL Stu
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast