autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quickest way to remove BFWD before winterizing

Hey all,

I'm going to be winterizing my car in a bit and I'd like to know what the quickest and easiest route would be to remove my current one layer of BFWD that I've had on for 2-3 months.

I'll be applying another two coats of BFWD and possibly top it off with Collinite 845 (if I can scrounge up for more cash to pick some up). I have Optimum Power Clean arriving in a few days and I also have P21S Total Auto Wash. Wondering if I could remove the current LSP with these?

My issue is that on the weekends it's either raining or I'm working on someone else's car so I only have a window of a couple hours after work during the work week in order to winterize my car.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quickest way to remove BFWD before winterizing

Quote Originally Posted by onlycodered View Post
    Hey all,

I'm going to be winterizing my car in a bit and I'd like to know what the quickest and easiest route would be to remove my current one layer of BFWD that I've had on for 2-3 months.

I'll be applying another two coats of BFWD and possibly top it off with Collinite 845 (if I can scrounge up for more cash to pick some up). I have Optimum Power Clean arriving in a few days and I also have P21S Total Auto Wash. Wondering if I could remove the current LSP with these?

My issue is that on the weekends it's either raining or I'm working on someone else's car so I only have a window of a couple hours after work during the work week in order to winterize my car.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!
    You could clay bar the car that would remove the sealant.
    2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Dodge Charger Scat Pack, 2016 Focus RS.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting ready to winterize my car this weekend. I'll probably be washing with Dawn and then claying the car. I think that will suffice.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

I have Optimum Power Clean arriving in a few days and I also have P21S Total Auto Wash. Wondering if I could remove the current LSP with these?
    Either of those would be fine, or the clay suggestion. Or simply do an IPA wipedown after your wash. Clay is always a reasonable idea before applying LSP--just make sure you do some sort of cleaning step to remove the clay lube before your important winter prep.

Post Thanks / Like

Any ideas? Thanks guys!
    I have the same dilemma preventing me from doing the work on my own car. Luckily I have this coming weekend unscheduled and the weather is finally looking great so my car is getting a PO85RD finish polishing and a coat of Opti-Coat 2.0

With 3 months of weather and wear already on your current coat of BFWD claying should be all that it needed to remove the rest of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash, clay if needed, then use a pre-wax cleaner.

May not be the quickest, but it's the best method IMO and it will leave you paint looking better too.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Or clay and a quick once-over with M205 on a non-aggressive pad. Nice and noticeable what a quick once-ove with the polish does. Plus it will definately accomplish your goal.

I actually just did te same thing...wanted to do my winter routine while it's still nice...two layers of BFWD and topped with XMT 180. Don't know why I have the uncontrollable urge to top BFWD with anything at all; I just can't control it, LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all,

Do a wipe down with Klean Strip - Prep All. Appy your new BFWD. That is your quickest and easiest. I avoid IPA. It can damage paint. If you want to spend some more time and improve the surface first, use a finishing pad and P085RD before the wipedown.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by truckbutt View Post
    Do a wipe down with Klean Strip - Prep All. Appy your new BFWD. That is your quickest and easiest. I avoid IPA. It can damage paint. If you want to spend some more time and improve the surface first, use a finishing pad and P085RD before the wipedown.
    Best suggestion yet! Can't wait to try Klean Strip. Just picked some up. I'm assuming I shouldn't dilute it?

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FASTFRED View Post
    You could clay bar the car that would remove the sealant.
    Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    I'm getting ready to winterize my car this weekend. I'll probably be washing with Dawn and then claying the car. I think that will suffice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Either of those would be fine, or the clay suggestion. Or simply do an IPA wipedown after your wash. Clay is always a reasonable idea before applying LSP--just make sure you do some sort of cleaning step to remove the clay lube before your important winter prep.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Wash, clay if needed, then use a pre-wax cleaner.

May not be the quickest, but it's the best method IMO and it will leave you paint looking better too.

These are will do the job your looking for.
    AMG Classic Automotive Detailing 45 year's and still going at it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast