autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What to use on Car Cameras Lenses? (Backup and Side Cameras)

Anyone have any tips/suggestions for treating the lenses that cover backup and side view cameras? This happens to be on a BMW X5.

I would think that a good product would be something that is (of course) fully opaque and is hydrophobic. Sheeting water would be the best option because beading would interfere with the image.

opie_7afe

Re: What to use on Car Cameras Lenses? (Backup and Side Cameras)

i would opti-coat the whole car and the lenses should be fine as after your backing up your usually done driving so water shouldn't be on them after driving.im not fortunate enough to have a car with all the new technology so maybe someone with a bmw will respond with their tips. opti-coat would be a great thing anyways especially a relatively expensive ride. my car however opti-coat would be useless lol

Post Thanks / Like

I treat them the same way as I do my Nikon/Canon cameras.

-Clean the lenses only when absolutely necessary. I try not to be too compulsive.
    -Use a soft brush (camel hair, sable) to remove dust. Or blow the dust away.( I use an eye dropper, ear syringe)
    -Use a camera lens cleaning cloth (or a soft, dedicated for this purpose, MF or 100% cotton cloth) with a few drops of a camera lens cleaning fluid applied to the cloth, not the lens.
    -Use a residual oil remover (ROR) ever so often in conjunction with a lens cleaning fluid.

My local camera stores carry:
    Zeiss lens cleaning fluid (IMO, NO.1)
    Kodak lens cleaning fluid (IMO, NO.2)
    ROR's
    Lens cleaning cloths

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks FUNX725 you made me realize that I did not properly clarify. These are clear plastic housing that covers the entire camera assembly (including the actual camera lens). So what I am interested in is how to coat the clear plastic housing to assure that it is clean, clear and beadless. I assume this is similar material to the plastic headlight covers...

And in my original post I meant to say fully clear (the opposite of opaque)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMW View Post
    Thanks FUNX725 you made me realize that I did not properly clarify. These are clear plastic housing that covers the entire camera assembly (including the actual camera lens). So what I am interested in is how to coat the clear plastic housing to assure that it is clean, clear and beadless. I assume this is similar material to the plastic headlight covers...

And in my original post I meant to say fully clear (the opposite of opaque)
    I'd still try to blow off as much dust as possible.
    Then I'd use a Plexus/DP Plex-All type product applied to a dedicated MF or 100% cotton cloth, not the lens cover, to clean and seal.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I find the right way to my rear view camera, thank for the posts

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think any special treatment is particularly necessary for the backup cameras. Whatever LSP you are using on the rest of the car, as long as it works well on the headlights it will work well on the backup and side cameras. If it makes your headlight and tail lenses slick, it'll do the same for the camera lenses. No need to do them separately e.g. when I UQW my G37, it goes on my paint, lights, and backup camera. Believe me, the paint on my car is a lot more scratch sensitive than that backup camera. The backup camera in no way requires the same level of care as a fine camera lens. If you are careful washing your car's paint... wash and dry media, and have products that leave your exterior paint and plastics slick, then you are good to go.

-Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rix6 View Post
    I don't think any special treatment is particularly necessary for the backup cameras. Whatever LSP you are using on the rest of the car, as long as it works well on the headlights it will work well on the backup and side cameras. If it makes your headlight and tail lenses slick, it'll do the same for the camera lenses. No need to do them separately e.g. when I UQW my G37, it goes on my paint, lights, and backup camera. Believe me, the paint on my car is a lot more scratch sensitive than that backup camera. The backup camera in no way requires the same level of care as a fine camera lens. If you are careful washing your car's paint... wash and dry media, and have products that leave your exterior paint and plastics slick, then you are good to go.

-Rick

I use Ultima PGP because it seems to repel dirt on paint (so assume it's doing the same on the plastic) and doesn't require buffing off after application. Gonna have to admit that when the camera gets dirty enough to impede vision I just huff on the plastic cover and wipe it with my finger, probably causes marring but haven't noticed any so far.

Also, you really really don't want something opaque. That means you can't see through it. You want something transparent - meaning you can see clearly through it.
    Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic