autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's leather conditioner destroyed my seats!

There is a treasure trove of knowledge and many years of experience on this board, and most people have likely used the product you are describing. I don't think anyone is trying to dispute your claim, but rather are shocked that it happened with a product people have used countless times. Post the pictures and let the experts here help you determine the cause and effect.

Mike Phillips

Hey everyone, let's skip any drama and just focus on the topic at hand.

I'm a big fan of giving everyone the benefit of the doubt before making any judgments. Meguiar's is a reputable company and besides taking care of their customers I know first hand that if there's any sign of a problem or issue with a product then,

First, it will be an exception to the rule as they invest heavily into field testing all their products before they ever get to the point where they're sitting on a shelf at an auto parts store.

Second, they appreciate feedback and information if there is a problem just as much as they appreciate the opportunity to investigate and make things right.

Their Customer Care Team is second to none, (next to Autogeek's), and they take care of their customers.

So please, let's keep this discussion focused on the topic at hand and I for one am already looking forward to the pictures.

To the original poster, if you can take some pictures so we can all see what you're seeing, I can help you get them "inserted" into the thread if you're not sure how to.

Simply e-mail them to me and I'll upload them to your gallery and then insert them into the thread.

mike.phillips@autogeek.net

Thank you ahead of time to everyone for keeping this thread on topic into the future...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Pics? Have you owned the vehicle since it was new?

In my experience those products are very safe and I wonder if the seat/seats may have been re-dyed at some point, which is
    not to uncommon with light colored leather on a used car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to stir the pot but is it possible they have has been re-dyed.
    The local "big name" Lexus dealership here does that on lease returns.
    BTW - They do the steering wheels too.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some pictures of the damage. More can be seen in my gallery.

When I got home to take the pictures, I noticed that there is actually damage on the passenger front seat too. Although not as bad.

Really guys, I did not come here to bash Meguiar's. I came here because I know this site has a lot of knowledge and experience. I came here to understand what happened and how to fix the damage. I came here because I didn't think Meguiar's would have much to say on the issue or be much help. Maybe I am wrong, but I will find out when I call them tomorrow.

I honestly did not expect this thread to turn into what it did. I guarantee I would not have been doubted or questioned in person. Unfortunately, tone doesn't come through on forum boards and people tend to turn into keyboard warriors. That said, I just want to fix my seats.

Post Thanks / Like

I did buy this vehicle used off a friend. It is in excellent shape and only had ~35k miles on it. I will ask him if anything was done to the seats, but I doubt it.

Still, why didn't the Turtle Wax product cause damage?

Mike Phillips

I've sent an e-mail to my very good friends at Meguiar's with the link to this thread and asked them to see if there's any instance of an issue like this in the past.

Their e-mail bounced back with "out of office" replies so lets give them time to check their e-mail and then read the thread.

And thank you to everyone for keeping this thread family friendly and focused on seeking a solution to the problem.

Again... thank you to everyone ahead of time...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by muscle View Post

Still, why didn't the Turtle Wax product cause damage?

It's indeed a mystery but again... a problem like this is certainly the exception, not the rule, so lets allow calm heads to prevail and I'm confident we can find out what's going on or come real close.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a classic case of redye to me
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    It's indeed a mystery but again... a problem like this is certainly the exception, not the rule, so lets allow calm heads to prevail and I'm confident we can find out what's going on or come real close.

Thank you, Mike. Your help is very much appreciated!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast