autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1986 Bronco II product testing: Ongoing Project, Thread 1

I was testing out Meg's #7 on the old Bronco II, just for fun, and decided to try out the SF 4500 (PO85RD), and the WGDGPS that I received on my last order. This is not necessarily a product review, just some hobby-testing of a few products.

Background info

Picture 2 years ago. Note the purple hue on the brown paint.

The Bronco II has been much neglected over it's life. My older brother bought it of some guy about three or four years ago, and he tried to clean up the interior a bit. Not nearly how much I've done thus far; but that's for a future thread way on down the line. Right now the interior is pretty much gutted, so it you see the inside through the windows; it's a mess.

Notice the absence of the bumper. This photo was taken for an Art 1010 photo project, hence the monochromatic coloration.

Anyhow, my brother gifted me this vehicle after he returned from basic training and AIT, after he bought a newer vehicle. It's my on-going hobby/experimental truck. I did some experiments with aerosol paint cans on the front end last summer....that's all I will comment on that. If been consulting with Oscar (93fox) on and off about the proper materials so I can later repaint this beast the right way; no more rattle cans…Maybe I’ll get to it next summer.

Green and white aerosol "rattle can" on front fender. Photo taken last summer.

I originally took care of it, before I knew how to properly care for a paint finish. I used cotton terry towels and NuFinish...no comment. That was two years ago. For about a year and a half I had kind of given up on the finish, until I purchased some Meg’s #7 for use on a friend’s car. Then I remembered a great thread by Michael Phillips about caring for neglected single stage paint: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html. I wanted to try this technique for quite a while. I had some free time, and thought “Ah, what the hell.”

#7 "soaking in" to the single stage paint. About 3o seconds after application.

About 50 minutes after application.

Meguiar’s #7

After a good Dawn wash, I waited a day for the paint to dry. The paint is in no way considered “good” or even “decent” condition. It’s ridded with chips, scratches, RIDS, and all sorts of defects. I used #7 on most of the paint, but I will only showcase a few panels.

Application was very easy. I used a cotton terry towl and applied a vew heavy applications to the paint, working the #7 into the paint. I then let it soak into the paint for about two hours.

After a few hours, I wiped the excess #7 with a clean towel. Keep in mind that the goal of this was more of a test than a job for perfection.

A few WGDGPS after using SF 4500 (PO85RD) coming shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1986 Bronco II product testing: Ongoing Project, Thread 1

SF 4500/WGDGPS
    After the step using #7 is finished, which cleaned up the paint a lot, I used my PC to polish the paint with Menzerna SF 4500, which was an amazing product. My new favorite polish, that is to say! It applies like butter, but has way more cut than the Meg’s UP that I had been using, and the SF 4500 finishes way better too. I waited until the next day and applied the WGDGPS. And another day passed, so I finally got out to take some more pictures:

This is an especially important photo to note: The tan paint has NEVER had a reflection.

Hopefully I can follow up this thread if their is enough interest. Thanks for looking.

Post Thanks / Like

SF4500 does not have more cut than UP. It is probably one of the finest polishes out there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
    SF4500 does not have more cut than UP. It is probably one of the finest polishes out there!
    Perhaps it is because I've only used UP on a clear coat? I did not take that into mind.

Post Thanks / Like

pretty cool test.....im interested
    In GOD we trust

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Congregation, my brother! You are now are now a brethren in the "Disciples of Mike Phillips", Chapter #7!
    Seriously, I rate reading and following Mike's article as the most significant event in my detailing hobby since my initial encounter with a clay bar. I was ready to write off the paint on my '87 El Camino "survivor" as unrestorable until I followed Mike's tutorial. I've used #7 for over 30 years, but it was the process detailed in the article that made a world of difference. Two judged shows and two trophies later, I'm once again proud to drive the old girl. Don't hesitate to rub on it a bit more with another oil-rich product, Meguiars' #80 Speed Glaze.
    Props to you for having the nerve to tear into it and congrats on your progress.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Keep going...your experiment is putting some serious life into that Bronco! Good job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchristo View Post
    pretty cool test.....im interested
    I'll try and keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    Welcome to the Congregation, my brother! You are now are now a brethren in the "Disciples of Mike Phillips", Chapter #7!
    Seriously, I rate reading and following Mike's article as the most significant event in my detailing hobby since my initial encounter with a clay bar. I was ready to write off the paint on my '87 El Camino "survivor" as unrestorable until I followed Mike's tutorial. I've used #7 for over 30 years, but it was the process detailed in the article that made a world of difference. Two judged shows and two trophies later, I'm once again proud to drive the old girl. Don't hesitate to rub on it a bit more with another oil-rich product, Meguiars' #80 Speed Glaze.
    Props to you for having the nerve to tear into it and congrats on your progress.

Bill
    I have to agree, Bill. Mikes articles usually note things about detailing than people just don't think of. So far, my favorite article of his is the one on white paint. If you haven't read it yet I can pm you a link.

I'll pick up the #80 if it is available locally. I'm not looking to put another AG order in until I have my school and insurance paid for!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    Keep going...your experiment is putting some serious life into that Bronco! Good job.
    I intend to, Kris. Most of it'll look good. But it still needs a repaint.I was originally going to go for a dark green w/ coarse metel flake, but now that the true color is brought back, I think I'll go with the same color.

Post Thanks / Like

Great improvement!!! Keep posting the progress you make on the Bronco!!! I'm interested.
    My name is Jeff and I like to make things SHINE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Did you see that flake pop in this picture...

...wow!

I wonder how much more life you could breath into her if you followed Mike's article a bit closer with more applications and longer dwell times in between? Fantastic so far...
    Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast