autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country Glass Polishing PAd

I have one of these,
    I have not yet used it,
    can anyone share their experience and any tips for using on general windshields

I have used Griots Garage polishing pads previously on a shower door, it did not do much to improve the water spots, I was surprised the special glass pads did not even make a dent in the water spots using a Meguiars DA,Griots glass polish and pads, does glass polishing require a rotary ?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country Glass Polishing PAd

Are you trying to remove scratches or just water spots?

I haven't tried to remove any scratches in glass... Something about that whole cutting microscopic fragment of glass into dust I might breathe.... Call me crazy.

But I regularly polish the glass on cars to remove water spots. And this is one of the easiest and most rewarding things you can do. I use 105 on a cyan HT pad and the water spots come right out! You can do an entire window or half a windshield at a time for your section size with even a 4" pad and minimal product. Thanks to my budd Tad for teaching me this trick a couple years ago.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

To Autogeek Online!

The pads themselves work very little and should be used with a product designed for glass.

Restorer

DP High Performance Glass Restorer removes etched water spots from auto glass and restores perfect clarity. Apply with a polisher or applicator for

Glass Polishing Compound

3M? Glass Polishing Compound 60150, 1 per inner 6 per shipper

These work great with a dual action polisher

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gents,

I am actually trying to remove water spots off a glass shower door. I thought it would give me a good chance to : 1. clean up a badly water spot build up on shower doors,
    2. Get a feel for how it worked before using it on a car windshield.

My attempt with GG pads and polish did not even make any improvement , I was really surprised. So I also have this LC specific glass polishing pad, I will try just thought I would see what you guys suggest. I was remembering a post that Mike Philips made that mentioned something referencing that the rotary was either the best way or most effective way to clean glass ? and it made me think maybe that is why I saw no improvement with the DA.
    I am not trying to get out scratches just water build up, but it is a glass shower door not a auto glass , maybe quite different , thought it would be similar.
    Thank you for your feedback

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AG!!

For cleaning water spots a D/A is fine. Refer to my first post about how simple it is with either machine. As far as scratches a rotary is much more effective on glass. Not sure about shower doors.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I haven't tried to remove any scratches in glass... Something about that whole cutting microscopic fragment of glass into dust I might breathe.... Call me crazy.
    Hadn't really thought about it but great point. Is this really possible to ingest glass particles? Does OSHA know about this?

opie_7afe

for glass polishing you really need a compound/polish containing diamond abrasives or another substance that is harder then glass, just like we do with paint with the correct compounds,need the correct compounds for glass. now removing water spots you can use a normal paint polishing chemical as thats a above surface defect on glass(i don't think water spots on glass etch) i dont think autogeek carries anything to remove below surface defects on glass but im probably wrong! if autogeek does not carry these EastWood does.(not trying to spam at all just trying to help!) the product number for the EastWood glass scratch removal kit is #12526 (deep scratch removal) it includes some sanding discs,a felt buffing pad with backing plate(can use rotary or drill and the da if you have the GoodScrew adapter) and the diamond polishing compound that kit is 68$ but if you just have faint scratches you can just go with the normal kit which includes everything but the sanding discs for 49$ part number for that is #12525. what makes this system work is the DIAMOND polishing compound it can be used to remove alot of issues and restore clarity to the glass..its worth a shot and could be an additional money maker. i hope i helped you guys out with polishing glass and again im not trying to spam this company but they do provide great products for the automotive industry, they even have the good SEM interior dyes and all that good stuff!

*and about the glass ingestion, best tip i know for working with glass is keep the surface wet with product (wet dust don't fly well) or wear a particulate mask..I've done a good bit of glass grinding and i just used water to keep dust from flying and getting into my lungs!*

Post Thanks / Like

What about the Diamondite Glasswork Restorer?
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info,
    I uploaded a pic of the glass shower door to my profile but didn't get it in this reply, not sure if you can find it,
    Basically a shower door with heavy water spot build up, no luck with common household cleaners, ammonia, vinegar,APC's etc. So I tried the GG polishing pads, thin white pads that look similar to the LC pads also on Auto geek, I used them with GG glass polish and a DA, no improvement, I used the GG polish pads with Ultimate compound , no improvement.

For what it's worth, I have the Lake Country Glass foam polishing pad , ( not the thin ones) the pad that has the minute abrasives in the foam also sold here on AG. Not sure if I made that clear on the other post.
    Not a big deal, I will try this pad with Ult Comp, and or the Glass Polishes I have and see what happens. I was posting the question because , I was surprised that the GG thin glass pads did not make any noticeable effect, and considering this is a shower door, maybe the soap build up along with water spots , it is somehow more difficult to clean ? I also thought this would give me an idea of how these products would work on the car windshield ( which is nowhere near as bad) . Makes me think it would not be very effective on a car windshield.
    Not sure if you can see the picture good enough to see, anyway I will give this foam pad with minute abrasives built in. Has anyone had any experience with it ?
    I will get the other glass repair/restore kits mentioned if needed, Thanks for that info, and sorry for the drawn out message, hope that makes sense,

Thanks for all your replies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast